New to Brackish fish.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelp23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I've kept tropical fish for a while but have just obtained 2 GSP. They were sold to me as a freshwater fish but I've done a bit of research and have found that they do need brackish water as they get older. I have about a million questions but my main ones are..
How do achieve this?
How do I accurately measure the salt levels. I've seen a few different methods.
What salt should I be using?
Do I need a separate water testing kit for brackish water or will my NT Labs kit work.

Thanks in advance,

You can use a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure the salinity of the water. As youngsters, I believe they are okay in fresh, but will need increasingly salty water as they grow. For my brackish tank, I use instant ocean brand salt.

Hi, I've kept tropical fish for a while but have just obtained 2 GSP. They were sold to me as a freshwater fish but I've done a bit of research and have found that they do need brackish water as they get older. I have about a million questions but my main ones are..
How do achieve this?
How do I accurately measure the salt levels. I've seen a few different methods.
What salt should I be using?
Do I need a separate water testing kit for brackish water or will my NT Labs kit work.

Thanks in advance,
Brackish water is water that has salt in but not as much salt as ocean/ sea water. You can use rock salt or marine salt to make up brackish water. Marine salt is better.

Hydrometer or refractometer (as mentioned above by Circus).
A plastic chamber hydrometer is relatively cheap and accurate for sea water but not so good for brackish.

A floating glass hydrometer is fine for sea water or brackish but they tend to break easily if knocked about.

A refractometer is more accurate than hydrometers but more expensive. You need to handle them with care but they don't need cotton gloves or anything like that.

-------------------
The freshwater test kits usually work on brackish and salt water. however the colour may be off slightly

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back