New to Bettas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi so I’m getting my head turned by Bettas for the first time - never really been into them but really getting into them now.

I’m considering a female sorority tank in my 26 gallon and a single Male in my 8 gallon.

What tips do people have for a sorority? And do you think it would work in my tank?

If I did a sorority tank would I be able to keep a school of small rasboras with them too probably 10-12 galaxy rasbora.

Wills

Deanasue had a sorority till it turned into a disaster.

My tip...Don’t do it! I use to defend them but after all of mine died from Columnaris due to stress, I changed my mind. Didn’t realize how stressful it was on them. I watched Columnaris take over and eat them alive! No meds helped. So very cruel to do to fish. :(

My tip...Don’t do it! I use to defend them but after all of mine died from Columnaris due to stress, I changed my mind. Didn’t realize how stressful it was on them. I watched Columnaris take over and eat them alive! No meds helped. So very cruel to do to fish. :(
Blimey! That’s the lid shut on that then. Think I’ll stick to a Male in my 8g

Sure, you start with one beautiful male. I currently have 6. Lost 3 but resisted replacing them...so far! Tip: buy from a lfs. Breeders are notorious for selling off their older Prime stock . Then you get about 6 months to a year on them before they start aging. Not long afterwards, they die. My oldest bettas, ironically, came from Petco. Not Petsmart.

That sounds much better!

Now this isn’t perfect, but you can read my high school paper I did this year, on Bettas. It may give you some insight/advice:

Cool thanks for that. Thinking of getting a Male candy hmpk there’s a really nice blue and white one on eBay but going to be more than a few weeks until I’m totally ready... could put him in my big tank for a few weeks though would be a nightmare to catch tho...

Cool thanks for that. Thinking of getting a Male candy hmpk there’s a really nice blue and white one on eBay but going to be more than a few weeks until I’m totally ready... could put him in my big tank for a few weeks though would be a nightmare to catch tho...
Yes, HMPK Bettas are very hard to catch, as they are much faster than the normal oriental strands.

Maybe wait a while before getting one? I suggest waiting until the tank is fully setup and properly cycled, before purchasing your betta. :)

Yes, HMPK Bettas are very hard to catch, as they are much faster than the normal oriental strands.

Maybe wait a while before getting one? I suggest waiting until the tank is fully setup and properly cycled, before purchasing your betta. :)

I have media from my other tank and will be heavily planting so will be a seeded silent cycle. Probs best to wait hope this guy is still around he’s quite expensive so might have a chance.

Wills

Are they usually ok with snails? I’m thinking of some fancy snails like pagoda and rabbits

Got my son's dumbo from here:
Only had him a month so far but seems very healthy
IMG_20201030_161807.jpg

If it was me, I would try and get a baby boy.

That way you can raise him, and enjoy him for his full life time. You never truly know how old a betta is when you buy one from an lfs or any where else. I have read where some live for years and other die of old age within a couple of years, you just never know.

I double quadruple to infinity about not going the female sorority way, because to many I have read about doing this have ended up really bad.

Are they usually ok with snails? I’m thinking of some fancy snails like pagoda and rabbits
Yes, perfectly ok.

Some more aggressive bettas don’t get along with mystery snails that well, or any other snail that has long antennas. They confuse it with live food. (Worms and such)

The rabbit snail may be a problem though... you will just have to see how aggressive the betta is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back