New to aquarium keeping, looking for advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
View attachment 143765
Should I be worried he's kind of under the house wheel that spins and acts as a bio filter since it spins with air going in I'm not sure if I should try and nude the decoration to get him out is it a bad spot should I be worried that he's stuck or no?
By the looks of things he looks fine to me. I have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to what fish can go with which and what can go in what type of water (hard or soft water), but he might’ve just found some algae or something. Has he moved from that spot now? Or is he still there?

I didnt get a clown loach i said maybe i could get some IF i get a 60-100 gallon tank. As for him setting it up my tank has been fine, no diseases, etc and the fish in the other tanks had no signs of ich and i asked the staff about the filtration and they said that their filtration systems are seperate not sure how truthful this is byt they did aay thanks for letting them know about possible ich, anyways the fish i got to confirm: 1 clown pleco, 2 kuhli loaches and 2 tiger barbs
Clown loaches need a tank that’s around 8ft long, considering they need to be in a shoal of at least 6. I would also pick up more tiger barbs and one or two more koolies. Reason being with tiger barbs, they are very boisterous and will diverte their attention to other fish if there’s not enough of their own kind. As I said in a post previous I’m still remembering most of the stuff I’ve learnt so forgive me if I’ve gone wrong somewhere.

By the looks of things he looks fine to me. I have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to what fish can go with which and what can go in what type of water (hard or soft water), but he might’ve just found some algae or something. Has he moved from that spot now? Or is he still there?
Yeah he moved

Clown loaches need a tank that’s around 8ft long, considering they need to be in a shoal of at least 6. I would also pick up more tiger barbs and one or two more koolies. Reason being with tiger barbs, they are very boisterous and will diverte their attention to other fish if there’s not enough of their own kind. As I said in a post previous I’m still remembering most of the stuff I’ve learnt so forgive me if I’ve gone wrong somewhere.
Yeah I know about the loaches I had one but it was like a very very very very slow grower! I'd had him about a year before the ich outbreak killed him.
as for the kuhli loaches I didn't know, I did know about the barbs though I only got 2 of the barbs because money was running pretty short we just paid a 2.5K electric bill... (We run servers in our home)

but my plan was to get maybe 3 more? if not 6 the petstore did say we had a few months to add more to complete a school of fish, as the one's I have now are like babies, obviously their grown a bit more than babies or fry or whatever you call them but yeah I guess you could call them a toddler 😆

and he/she just went back to it after sucking on the glass I think that's his/her hiding spot but now that I know he/she isn't stuck I'm perfectly fine with him/her being there as long as his/her fins don't get damaged.

Yeah I know about the loaches I had one but it was like a very very very very slow grower! I'd had him about a year before the ich outbreak killed him.
as for the kuhli loaches I didn't know, I did know about the barbs though I only got 2 of the barbs because money was running pretty short we just paid a 2.5K electric bill... (We run servers in our home)

but my plan was to get maybe 3 more? if not 6 the petstore did say we had a few months to add more to complete a school of fish, as the one's I have now are like babies, obviously their grown a bit more than babies or fry or whatever you call them but yeah I guess you could call them a toddler 😆

If this is about Tiger Barbs, they need a larger group, 10-12 minimum, and this sized group needs a 30-inch (75 cm) length tank like the standard 29 gallon. If there are to be other upper fish, then a significantly larger tank is needed.

If this is about Tiger Barbs, they need a larger group, 10-12 minimum, and this sized group needs a 30-inch (75 cm) length tank like the standard 29 gallon. If there are to be other upper fish, then a significantly larger tank is needed.
10-12 ok, what If I get more kuhli loaches, and some more guppies? would that make my tank overstocked at 30gallons and would it affect anything? Could it work overstocked? what are the risks to overstocking a tank?

I would be very reluctant to keep guppies with those long tempting tails in the same tank as fish with a reputation for being just about the nippiest species in the hobby. Tank mates for tiger barbs need to be able to stand up for themselves, and guppies don't fit that bill.

Kuhlis may be OK as they spend most of their daylight hours in hiding.

One alternative is a tank of just tiger barbs, but there are several different colour varieties of these fish. So a group of mixed colours would look like several different fish but actually be the same species. For example - orange with black stripes, albino (pale orange and white stripes), green (dark green with orange noses) etc

I concur with @Essjay , as I previously said, a group of 10-12 Tiger Barbs in this 30g tank is the limit for upper water fish. No guppies. Substrate fish can work, but that is mainly up to the temperament of the TB. Different varieties of TB is also good as essjay noted, they are the same species. If TB are your preference, then it is solely a TB tank (with the substrate fish OK).

Could it work overstocked? what are the risks to overstocking a tank?
Bear in mind that the word 'overstocked' is used for a reason and is based upon many, many decades of expert fishkeeping experiences.
  • Overstocking does not simply refer to any 1" per Gallon 'Rule', or similar...it refers to the bioload of a tank and that tank's ability, not only to keep fish alive, but to facilitate them actually thriving. (I believe we have a thread elsewhere on what is meant by thriving fish).
  • Crowding can cause stress.
  • Lack of appropriate swimming space can cause stress.
  • Forced proximity to other fish may cause stress.
  • The bioload can overwhelm the beneficial bacteria.
  • If a disease or parasite hits, it will rush through that overstocked tank very, very quickly...and remember, the fish are likely to be stressed and will, therefore, be considered more vulnerable..
  • Filtration above and beyond what would normally be considered appropriate for the tank would be necessary.
  • Oxygenation of the water may be an issue.
  • The behaviour of some fish may be detrimentally affected in an overstocked tank.
  • Water changes would need to be increased in frequency and capacity.

Bear in mind that the word 'overstocked' is used for a reason and is based upon many, many decades of expert fishkeeping experiences.
  • Overstocking does not simply refer to any 1" per Gallon 'Rule', or similar...it refers to the bioload of a tank and that tank's ability, not only to keep fish alive, but to facilitate them actually thriving. (I believe we have a thread elsewhere on what is meant by thriving fish).
  • Crowding can cause stress.
  • Lack of appropriate swimming space can cause stress.
  • Forced proximity to other fish may cause stress.
  • The bioload can overwhelm the beneficial bacteria.
  • If a disease or parasite hits, it will rush through that overstocked tank very, very quickly...and remember, the fish are likely to be stressed and will, therefore, be considered more vulnerable..
  • Filtration above and beyond what would normally be considered appropriate for the tank would be necessary.
  • Oxygenation of the water may be an issue.
  • The behaviour of some fish may be detrimentally affected in an overstocked tank.
  • Water changes would need to be increased in frequency and capacity.
so in all overstocked = BAD IDEA

would I be better off with more room if I get rid of this tank and get a 60gal? I like to fish I really do they take the stress out of me by just watching them but not having a lot swim around or even a small group of pretty ones would be nice but not having a lot of fish swim in all that space kinda bothers me tbh.

I'll get a pic of the tank if I can.

also, wanted to ask I'm making a DIY canister filter for my Fishtank also for my shop class ;) If I make it could I use it for my tank instead of it sitting in some place in my closet, basement, etc? or would it be way too much filtration? and If I get a 60gal could I use it then?

would I be better off with more room if I get rid of this tank and get a 60gal? I like to fish I really do they take the stress out of me by just watching them but not having a lot swim around or even a small group of pretty ones would be nice but not having a lot of fish swim in all that space kinda bothers me tbh.
There are plenty of stocking options, giving a lot of activity, at all levels, when you have a 60 gallon tank to play with.
You learn what water you have and then match the possible fish to it.
You pick something for the substrate/lower levels.
You pick something for the middle of the water.
You pick something that'll explore the upper reaches.

Rather than have lots of different species in the middle, get a few of a couple of species, or a lot of just the one.
Maybe leave room for a show-piece fish, or pair of.

For example, in my SE Asian tank, I have kuhli loach on the bottom, copper harlequin in the middle and then chili rasbora and cherry barbs that seem to go all over, with the latter favouring middle and lower and the former favouring middle and upper.
My 'showpiece' is a male Dwarf Gourami, who also likes to explore the full tank.

...also, wanted to ask I'm making a DIY canister filter for my Fishtank also for my shop class ;) If I make it could I use it for my tank instead of it sitting in some place in my closet, basement, etc? or would it be way too much filtration? and If I get a 60gal could I use it then?
I don't believe that you can ever have 'too much' filtration. You can have too much flow, but that's a different issue.

I'll get a pic of the tank if I can.

When you select species "x" you are restricting your options, as not all fish work with all other fish. If you want Tiger Barbs, then in a 30g you have the one species, and you could have 12, 15, even a few more. I do not see how you could call this not filling the space, as this fish is active.

In a 60g with TB, you must be careful with other species, that they will suit the active feisty nature of TB. Other barbs and danios (some species, certainly not all) are usually good choices. Depends rather on the tank length; a 60g that is only 30 inches (75 cm) or 36 inches (90 cm) in length will not have much space compared to a 60g that is 4 feet (120 cm) length.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back