New to aquarium keeping, looking for advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
oh, I love these forums!!! so many jokers! that's a forum I love!

anyways enough of the filter size :rofl:

now onto a question will distilled water hurt if I use it temporarily since my well water is dirty to fill up the evaporated water in my FT?

PS: I am working on a diy top off system with 2 5 gallon buckets, a pump, a float switch, and finally proper water lol. with the 2 5 gallon buckets connected with uni seals and pvc!
but for now I kinda just need to know because the evap water is below the line and you can see the water line.......

These freaking glass api test capsules break so easily i just opebed one so carefully and it freaking broke thats 3/4 so far... Ive found replacement capsules on amazon for $9 so atleast their cheapish i think it comes with 10 of them but not sure

question would a bristle nose pleco be out more often?

not that I really care that much but I like seeing them suck on the glass and my common used to be out a lot now it's like it's not it started not coming out as often after ich happened in my tank and I moved him to my temp 3g hospital tank and I made an oopsie and forgot to acclimate him because it went from 86*F to 78*F
I think either my common pleco has brain damage šŸ˜‚ or he's still super stressed...

well, I think it's safe to say I avoided a major disaster! I went to the pet store today and I was thinking about getting a clown loach as a bottom feeder but at petco it had ich! it had the signs of ich white spots on the fin and tail, itching on decor how do they even put fish like that in there! anyways I ended up getting 2 kuhli loaches which look awesome not because their pure black but because they swim so cool! along with 2 tiger barbs very small, and 1 rubber lip pleco

as for my question would the rubber lip pleco be a good replacement for my common pleco? my father is setting up his 60gal aquarium and I thought it would be a good place instead of returning it, we could put it in his since 1 it's a bigger tank and 2 it has a canister filter.

anyways I am lucky for actually looking at the fish before I bought it!

I also put a creek minnow in my tank as some of you may of known when I redid my 30 gal, and for some reason, my guppy freakin loves them they swim around all day long! it's actually fun to watch!

let me know your thoughts on me avoiding a disaster!

question would a bristle nose pleco be out more often?
My Bristlenose is out and active all of the time, munching on my 3D background plate, as well as the algae on my plant leaves, my wood and stones, dotted around the tank and my filter box. It also seems to enjoy the odd slice of courgette I place in the tank, weighted down by plant lead.
Whenever I apply a food tablet to the glass, I can guarantee that it'll investigate and usually take some of this.

You were lucky that you didn't buy a clown loach at all :) . Clown loaches need HUGE tanks and a shoal as they are very social fish.
Yeah I was looking at em and then rememberd that ;) I'm like my god I love clown loaches but my tank is just too small to have a small school of them :( maybe I can get some with a 60-100gal tank
My Bristlenose is out and active all of the time, munching on my 3D background plate, as well as the algae on my plant leaves, my wood and stones, dotted around the tank and my filter box. It also seems to enjoy the odd slice of courgette I place in the tank, weighted down by plant lead.
Whenever I apply a food tablet to the glass, I can guarantee that it'll investigate and usually take some of this.
I realized it wasn't a rubber lip but a clown I think I'd have to see about getting a picture but it was at Petsmart and I was kind of out of it trying to think of fish because they had like no plecos the only one's they had were commons! and a bunch of commons! I was like I don't need a common I got one going in my father's 60gal when he gets it set up! I don't need one it grows too big lol, so when there were no bristlenose (PS they had an albino but it looked too boring lol) my eyes instantly went to the clown because there were like 15 maybe 20 after the employee moved a hide, got 1 and brought it home with some kuhli loaches, pleco, and some tiger barbs ;) price in total: $25

I do still have my CAE but he seems to have calmed down when I gave him some sinking algae wafers ;)

but again Petsmart doesn't list the names of the fish it just says
Code:
AQ Algae Eater $9.99
on the receipt with a number I Tried looking up but came empty, so I'll try and get a pic of it.

I think they had a rubber lip but once again my eyes went on the clown for some reason maybe it's because in my mind I thought
Code:
those damn clowns
LOL

First you said you didn't get the clown loach, then you say you DID get one, along with Barbs, 2 kuhli loaches, and another pleco. So did you or did you not get one? If you did - return it ASAP. Also, if you saw ich in the system, why would you get ANY fish from there? Haven't you had enough fish disease and death? In addition to that, if your dad is GOING to set up a 60 gallon tank, you should know by now to WAIT until the tank is fully set up and cycled before you get livestock for it.

Not trying to be mean, but I see another catastrophe in the making...

I didnt get a clown loach i said maybe i could get some IF i get a 60-100 gallon tank. As for him setting it up my tank has been fine, no diseases, etc and the fish in the other tanks had no signs of ich and i asked the staff about the filtration and they said that their filtration systems are seperate not sure how truthful this is byt they did aay thanks for letting them know about possible ich, anyways the fish i got to confirm: 1 clown pleco, 2 kuhli loaches and 2 tiger barbs
First you said you didn't get the clown loach, then you say you DID get one, along with Barbs, 2 kuhli loaches, and another pleco. So did you or did you not get one? If you did - return it ASAP. Also, if you saw ich in the system, why would you get ANY fish from there? Haven't you had enough fish disease and death? In addition to that, if your dad is GOING to set up a 60 gallon tank, you should know by now to WAIT until the tank is fully set up and cycled before you get livestock for it.

Not trying to be mean, but I see another catastrophe in the making...

afaik clown loaches need a 6 foot by 2 foot footprint as they can reach a foot long, so the 60gallon will need to be less than a foot in height, and realistically 2 foot tall is wanted which would be a 180. And the volume would be needed because 6 fully grown clown loach are a lot of fish in terms of bioload. They grow slow though, so you would have time for the sysyem to get used to any overstocking

PXL_20210920_213158229.jpg
Should I be worried he's kind of under the house wheel that spins and acts as a bio filter since it spins with air going in I'm not sure if I should try and nude the decoration to get him out is it a bad spot should I be worried that he's stuck or no?

Doesn't look like he can get stuck. More likely he is hiding. Did you add the new fish directly in with your current ones? Seems like it. You need to quarantine new fish, especially ones that came from shifty systems with possible ich etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back