New Tanks For My Oscars

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Finally I have the set up finished enough to feel it's worth posting photos
smile.png
 The rest of the work to finish of is minor arranging of equipment and finishing off the stand (I'll do a thread in DIY section when I have time to sort them all out).

So these Oscars are Iggy and Merú,  They are coming up to 5 years old, I've had them since they were about 2" long.  They had to be separated after a year.  I was given a 6ft tank which was great at the time but it was seriously battered and not exactly a show tank to start off with.

These new tanks are from ND Aquatics and are 4ft x 2ft x 2ft.  They have a large Aquamanta filter each and two Fluval E 300w heaters per tank plus an Eheim air pump.  The rocks are Moorland Slate from a garden centre.  I want to adjust the positions a bit but it is not a priority at the moment.  The lights are LED wall spots from Ikea which are perfect.  During the day the tanks get a lot of light but there are so many reflections that it is hard to get useful photos.

Photo below:  Testing the lights out, they will be mounted behind the tank.  The light on the far right is producing the light rays as the water at that spot is pretty still.  This will change.  Red light on heater is a low flow thing and nothing to be concerned over.  There's a great ripple effect in the tank which reflects onto the wall behind :)

20131208_193328.jpg

Photo below:  Merú's tank.  I particularly like the really tall rock and the light plays across it wonderfully.  The bottom was pretty flat to start with but a bit of work with the angle grinder has it sitting securely.

20131208_203621.jpg

Photo below:  Merú.

20131208_203634.jpg

Photo below:  Iggy's tank

20131208_203719.jpg

Photo below:  The view looking through the end of Iggy's tank - Iggy in the foreground.

20131208_203753.jpg

Photo below:  Iggy.

20131208_203907.jpg

Wow, lovely tanks! My oscar is in a 5'x2'x2' but it looks rubbish (I was in a hurry to get him into it; he'd been stuck in a 240l for 2 years 
no.gif
).

Aren't you worried the fish will knock those rocks over?!

fluttermoth said:
Wow, lovely tanks! My oscar is in a 5'x2'x2' but it looks rubbish (I was in a hurry to get him into it; he'd been stuck in a 240l for 2 years 
no.gif
).

Aren't you worried the fish will knock those rocks over?!

No, powerful as oscars are, there really is no chance of them shifting any of the rocks, they are very heavy!  Not that they haven't had a good try lol

Wow so jealous!!!!!! I want sand in my oscar tank, but he is such a devil throwing gravel about sand would be a nightmare. Do they pull faces at each other through the glass? I ended up having to move one of my oscars into a different room, they would flare at each other across the room, barmy fish!

star4 said:
Wow so jealous!!!!!! I want sand in my oscar tank, but he is such a devil throwing gravel about sand would be a nightmare. Do they pull faces at each other through the glass? I ended up having to move one of my oscars into a different room, they would flare at each other across the room, barmy fish!

They like digging about in the sand but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.  They don't bother with each other much, the occasional bout of flaring.  It doesn't seem to stress them unduly, I have left enough of a gap between the tanks that I can slip a piece of card between the tanks if necessary but I don't think it will be.

Gorgeous tanks, and even more gorgeous fish! :wub:

Wow, looks amazing!

Simple but effective aquascape that really works!

Meru and Iggy are gorgeous! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back