New tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jack93

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here and relatively new starter keeping fish. I've had a small 35l cube aquarium set up for around 7 months now. I'm looking to upgrade to an 81l cube (slowly working my way up). The filter I have is fine according to the specs (I've just turned it down slightly) so I won't need any new equipment.

I'm just wondering if I'd basically be able to use the water from my old tank, use the old equipment, old subtrate and old plants (also have a nice piece of bog wood) and add another 30l or so of water and that be okay to go. I'd then be able to slowly top up as I go so it's not too much of a change in water?

Is this too ambitious? Should I just buy another filter and cycle it properly with some plants? Am I being stupid by thinking this is possible?

I don’t know about the technical detail, but that would mean you still only had one tank….I’m not sure that I’ve heard this theory in here before 🤔(most people go down with Multiple Tank Syndrome MTS) very quickly 😂😂

Hi all,

First post here and relatively new starter keeping fish. I've had a small 35l cube aquarium set up for around 7 months now. I'm looking to upgrade to an 81l cube (slowly working my way up). The filter I have is fine according to the specs (I've just turned it down slightly) so I won't need any new equipment.

I'm just wondering if I'd basically be able to use the water from my old tank, use the old equipment, old subtrate and old plants (also have a nice piece of bog wood) and add another 30l or so of water and that be okay to go. I'd then be able to slowly top up as I go so it's not too much of a change in water?

Is this too ambitious? Should I just buy another filter and cycle it properly with some plants? Am I being stupid by thinking this is possible?
If the smaller tank is cycled, you should have no issue moving everything over to the larger tank...no need to transfer the tank water, just fill the larger with new water, and dechlor for the volume of the tank...be certain your filter media does not dry out during the transfer...what fish are in the smaller tank?

Agree with above, just transfer the components over to the bigger tank (water not needed). Add any additional substrate and plants and so long as you aren't dumping in a bunch of new fish immediately, there shouldn't be any issues.

Amazing, I'll make sure to not let the filter dry out during the change. I have 5 tiny lampeye killifish... Local fish shop said they'd be fine and they've been okay (regular water changes, live plants etc) but they need more room. I'd not really be introducing anything else just yet anyway.

Amazing, I'll make sure to not let the filter dry out during the change. I have 5 tiny lampeye killifish... Local fish shop said they'd be fine and they've been okay (regular water changes, live plants etc) but they need more room. I'd not really be introducing anything else just yet anyway.
And welcome to the forum, BTW...

Once you have moved everything into the larger tank you will no doubt want more fish. Remember that the tank will be cycled for the fish you move over so when you get more add them a few at a time to allow the bacteria to catch up with the extra bioload.

Most reactions

Back