New Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Halawrence

Reaction score
Ok, so I used to have a Betta in my 5.5 gallon tank. After he started acting funny for about a month, just lounging, not interested to do anything, and just overall not eating as much, I called my step-mom who is big into tanks and we discovered that I bought an older Betta. No big deal, I just made sure that his tank parameters stayed normal and kept an eye on him until he passed. I have had him for a year and half at this point. My past Bettas have lived a lot longer.
The Tank is a 5.5 gallon planted tank and I have a mystery snail in there is well. A while back I discover pest snails. So after a post on here, I looked into getting a few catfish coreys to save my plants. I got three with the intention to rehome them to a friend with a bigger aquarium.
Well.... I fell in love with my the Coreys.... I have named them.... I know the tank I have is to small and I am looking into getting a bigger tank. I am fixing to make a big move in about three half months. So I am taking my time to find a tank I like and plan out tank ideas.
My problem is, I can't decide whether to get a 10 gallon just for them, and then get a new betta for my 5.5 gallon, or get a 29 gallon and maybe do a small sorority tank, and just pack up my 5.5 gallon for a later project.

I am also fooling around with the idea of a sorority tank and keeping my 5.5 gallon male betta tank.....

I am torn. Any advice or ideas?

Here is a current picture of my 5.5 gallon tank. I test it daily to make sure my coreys are good.

Attachments

• 20210304_080712.jpg
    20210304_080712.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 44
Ok, so I used to have a Betta in my 5.5 gallon tank. After he started acting funny for about a month, just lounging, not interested to do anything, and just overall not eating as much, I called my step-mom who is big into tanks and we discovered that I bought an older Betta. No big deal, I just made sure that his tank parameters stayed normal and kept an eye on him until he passed. I have had him for a year and half at this point. My past Bettas have lived a lot longer.
The Tank is a 5.5 gallon planted tank and I have a mystery snail in there is well. A while back I discover pest snails. So after a post on here, I looked into getting a few catfish coreys to save my plants. I got three with the intention to rehome them to a friend with a bigger aquarium.
Well.... I fell in love with my the Coreys.... I have named them.... I know the tank I have is to small and I am looking into getting a bigger tank. I am fixing to make a big move in about three half months. So I am taking my time to find a tank I like and plan out tank ideas.
My problem is, I can't decide whether to get a 10 gallon just for them, and then get a new betta for my 5.5 gallon, or get a 29 gallon and maybe do a small sorority tank, and just pack up my 5.5 gallon for a later project.

I am also fooling around with the idea of a sorority tank and keeping my 5.5 gallon male betta tank.....

I am torn. Any advice or ideas?

Here is a current picture of my 5.5 gallon tank. I test it daily to make sure my coreys are good.
"I looked into getting a few catfish coreys to save my plants."

I'm confused over that sentence, but I confuse easily sometimes...

At any rate, I'd get the 29G, and get more corys, they need to be in groups at a minimum of 6...then, you would have room for a couple of other schools of fish.

Save the 5.5G for a QT tank.

"I looked into getting a few catfish coreys to save my plants."

I'm confused over that sentence, but I confuse easily sometimes...

At any rate, I'd get the 29G, and get more corys, they need to be in groups at a minimum of 6...then, you would have room for a couple of other schools of fish.

Save the 5.5G for a QT tank.
I agree with this. If you can I would go with the 29 gal. Its a big step up from a 5.5 gal but I think it's a good size for the corys and other fish. I have a 29 gal and it's defiantly a lot of work compared to a smaller tank but if you feel up for it I'd say try it. And like Slaphppy7 said, 5.5gal will do good as a quarantine tank.

I agree with this. If you can I would go with the 29 gal. Its a big step up from a 5.5 gal but I think it's a good size for the corys and other fish. I have a 29 gal and it's defiantly a lot of work compared to a smaller tank but if you feel up for it I'd say try it. And like Slaphppy7 said, 5.5gal will do good as a quarantine tank.
The coreys I have eat pest snails! All of them are gone now. The pest snails were living in my moss balls and I was not a happy camper. I have not though of that idea. I know they are schooling fish but I had not had the intention of keeping them long term. My friend is has huge tank with 6 coreys already and I was going to give them to her after. I was expecting to like them so much. The for sure plan is to get a bigger tank and to get three more. I just have not done it yet because I moving really far.

I completely understand, planning to move is hard enough by its self. Setting up and moving a tank makes things even harder.

I completely understand, planning to move is hard enough by its self. Setting up and moving a tank makes things even harder.
Yes! So if you have tips on moving the tabk that would be appreciated as well. I already am planning on taking the filter wrapped in wet paper towel with tank water in a baggie as well as a majority of the tank water.

I recommend housing the filter cartage in a tank water filled baggy, it will have a lot of the beneficial bacteria you need so just popping it in the filter will instantly cycle your tank (More or less). The rest of the tank water however, isn't super necessary (Outside of transporting the fish if you bring them). Some substrate will be good too so at least a bit of it will help (It houses a lot of BB too), I wish you the best of luck!

I have a 29g tank with corys and they like the space. The extra height also gives you more room for schooling fish.
The coreys I have eat pest snails! All of them are gone now. The pest snails were living in my moss balls and I was not a happy camper. I have not though of that idea. I know they are schooling fish but I had not had the intention of keeping them long term. My friend is has huge tank with 6 coreys already and I was going to give them to her after. I was expecting to like them so much. The for sure plan is to get a bigger tank and to get three more. I just have not done it yet because I moving really far.
Are you sure they are Corydoras? Corys don’t eat snails, unless they are dead.

Most reactions

Back