FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I just got a 125 gallon tank for free, found on roadside. I was talking to previous owner and she said it was filled about 3 months ago but she couldn't take care of it after her husband died. I need to clean and and do a leak test before I do anything with it. It came with the tank, stand, and 4 lights which all work.

I'm either going to sell it or keep it. If I sell it I was wondering a realistic selling price. I was going to list it for $600 but I'm expecting to not get that.

If I keep it, I was wondering on some stocking ideas. I currently have 3 dwarf gourami, 2 angelfish, 4 platies, 2 mollies, 4 cories, 4 algae eaters, 4 danios, 10 neon tetras, and 1 pleco plus 3 mystery snails. Those are in a 29 gallon tank together. I'm leaning towards a mbu pufferfish but I don't know if I want that entire tank for just 1 fish. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm keeping both tanks and I even a 10 gallon I can easily setup.

As you have a peaceful tank already maybe go hard with the predators red tail sharks tiger barbs etc

Your 29g is really really overstocked, so I would opt to fix that by moving some not all to the new huge tank.

That said, you need to find out your GH because you got a mix of soft water and hard water fish, one or the other will suffer and not thrive in water unsuitable.

Ideally the algae eaters, the pleco, and the angelfish need the 120, angels shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 55 as it is. Same with the algae eaters. So I would move them to the big tank.

Your 29g is really really overstocked, so I would opt to fix that by moving some not all to the new huge tank.

That said, you need to find out your GH because you got a mix of soft water and hard water fish, one or the other will suffer and not thrive in water unsuitable.

Ideally the algae eaters, the pleco, and the angelfish need the 120, angels shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 55 as it is. Same with the algae eaters. So I would move them to the big tank.
Yeah I know my 29 gallon is overstocked, I'm new and got excited lol. I was already looking for a new tank to fix that.

My water is on the softer side. I know that Mollies prefer harder water, do any other of my fish prefer harder water? And how big of a deal is it if they stay in the softer water? They have been in that tank since the beginning of August, first fish along with the Gouramis and Pleco.

Yeah I know my 29 gallon is overstocked, I'm new and got excited lol. I was already looking for a new tank to fix that.

My water is on the softer side. I know that Mollies prefer harder water, do any other of my fish prefer harder water? And how big of a deal is it if they stay in the softer water? They have been in that tank since the beginning of August, first fish along with the Gouramis and Pleco.
If the water is too soft it causes a ton of complicated issues, but the most common one is skin, gill and eye damage.
It can also cause shimmies.

Id move all the softwater fish to the 120g.
Leave the mollies, platies, and zebra danios in the 29, everyone else to the 120.

In the 29 with the mollies and platies, use Seachem Equilibrium to bring the GH up to 250ppm.

They will be more prone to illness in soft water, will often come down with fungal infections, and will not live their full lifespans in soft water.

I had same issues, got livebearers when I started out but my water is super soft at 89.5ppm, mollies chronic had shimmers, fungus covered on them that didn't respond to medications, and guppies constantly died off fast. I moved all my livebearers to a 50g and use Equilibrium to bring my GH in that tank to 250ppm and keep it there every water change and been so much better since

Id move all the softwater fish to the 120g.
Leave the mollies, platies, and zebra danios in the 29, everyone else to the 120.

In the 29 with the mollies and platies, use Seachem Equilibrium to bring the GH up to 250ppm.

They will be more prone to illness in soft water, will often come down with fungal infections, and will not live their full lifespans in soft water.
Okay I'll do that thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back