Looks great. Some Vallisneria would be lovely at the back of the tank :wub:

I just added some to my new tank & love it :wub:

Attachments

• MVIMG_20201002_205416.jpg
    MVIMG_20201002_205416.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 166
Looks great. Some Vallisneria would be lovely at the back of the tank :wub:
Hey yep that's a good idea
I wouldn't go with vallis for such a small tank. It grows so tall, and it doesn't respond well to having the top of the leaves trimmed, so it would quickly overwhelm a nano tank. Go with something you can keep trimmed to a height of the tank without ill effects, like l.sessiliflora, or search for other plants for nano tanks, but I think vallis would be a mistake.

I wouldn't go with vallis for such a small tank. It grows so tall, and it doesn't respond well to having the top of the leaves trimmed, so it would quickly overwhelm a nano tank. Go with something you can keep trimmed to a height of the tank without ill effects, like l.sessiliflora, or search for other plants for nano tanks, but I think vallis would be a mistake.
There are several varieties though. That grow different heights.

I have Vallisneria Nana grows 30-80cm
Vallisneria Spiral is grows 20-50cm & has a nice twist to the leaves.
Vallisneria spiralis Tortifolia grows to 25cm.
Vallisneria spiralis Torta grows 30-50cm

So they're some nice choices for smaller tanks.

Would agree for the normal vals being a little too long, would still work but might need to trim the top quite often, maybe can use a dawrf vallisernia version instead, perhaps a Vallisneria nana, I've not had this before but I honestly like the look of these. Hmm, might get some for my own tank actually....

Grows to 20 - 30+ cm and that tank is an Aqua Nano 40 meaning its a 40cm cube, so that would fit quite nicely at the back of the tank, have a few nice bunches stragically planted might work out.

Edit - I see @AilyNC just got there first just as I was about to post my response :lol:

I've Vallisneria Nana in a 90cm tank so it stands tall in background without bending across the top of the water.

There are several varieties though. That grow different heights.

I have Vallisneria Nana grows 30-80cm
Vallisneria Spiral is grows 20-50cm & has a nice twist to the leaves.
Vallisneria spiralis Tortifolia grows to 25cm.
Vallisneria spiralis Torta grows 30-50cm

So they're some nice choices for smaller tanks.
I stand corrected then!
I've never tried the nana version, have just heard that vallis sometimes doesn't like having the tops of its leaves trimmed, and some vallis grows feet rather than cms, lol. So vallis could work then, just have to select what type more carefully for a nano tank.

I stand corrected then!
I've never tried the nana version, have just heard that vallis sometimes doesn't like having the tops of its leaves trimmed, and some vallis grows feet rather than cms, lol. So vallis could work then, just have to select what type more carefully for a nano tank.

Oh I only found them in my merry-go-round search for plants that didn't need CO2, grew fast, easy maintenance & weren't in my other tank :rofl:

(Edited because the emoji appeared in wrong place the rascal)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back