New tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

evanb

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. Just thought I would post this to see what people thought of it. I won this tank on an eBay auction yesterday, its an Aqua One Nano 40. I paid £40 for it, seemed like a pretty good price. As you can see from the picture, it comes with a whole load of bits including a Tropica Co2 system. Also some shrimp, a couple of fish and some snails.
I've been getting into aquascaping recently so that's my plan for the tank. If anyone has any good idea of what to do with it then please share them

Here's a picture of it
20200925_073426.jpg

I have one of those, or a version of it, mine has a corner internal filter rather than the screen at the back.
It's actually my sons so I feel like the bad cop at the moment telling him no he can't have what he wants in it, but he is getting used to understanding fish can be too large or too fast for such a small tank. (Despite what Jollyes and P@H say.)
Ours is getting Celestial Pearl Danios or Chili Rasbora, or maybe both, he also wants shrimp but our water is very soft so I'm still looking into the shrimp that suit.
I think a well planted Shrimp tank would be good, with a slope built up the rear.

Just ensure there is absolutly no rocking on the feet before filling, I've read reports of thesejust breaking for no apparant reason and suspect it's an issue with the feet not all being in contact evenly with the cabinet. Or the cabinet chosen not being suitable and flexing.

ah cool!
Glad to hear someone else has one on the forum :)
I'm thinking i might just kit it out with a load of shrimp. Not sure yet though. I will post some pictures once I start planting.

Shrimps are best/most suitable for your tank.
But you have to check your water hardness as shrimps prefer soft water.

If you decided to keep fish, I think only Mosquito Rasboras are safe for your shrimplets(though not 100% safe).
Other fish will hunt down your shrimplets including Celestial Pearl Danios.
Even Otocinclus may eat your shrimplets.(information that I gathered from the internets discussion)

Neocaridina shrimps can breed quite oftens.
Their shrimplets are so cute. I have a few batches of their shrimplets now.

Just becareful to have enough water aeration and not to use too much CO2 that can kill your shrimps.

Some info for you.

You can put a piece of styrofoam or rubber mat(get from the fish store) under the tank to ensure that your tank is rested properly on an even surface. This is to prevent the tank from cracking due to uneven pressure.

Last edited:
Looks like a great deal. Will be an especially lovely tank when planted :wub:

Shrimps are best/most suitable for your tank.
But you have to check your water hardness as shrimps prefer soft water.

If you decided to keep fish, I think only Mosquito Rasboras are safe for your shrimplets(though not 100% safe).
Other fish will hunt down your shrimplets including Celestial Pearl Danios.

First, neocardinia shrimps or red cherry shrimps have a wide range of water hardness, in fact they will do perfectly fine in harder water.

I have kept and bred these shrimps in hard water for years (over 215ppm hardness) without any real issues.

Other types of shrimps such as crystal shrimps do much better in softer water.

Celestial Pearl Danios imho will not actively hunt down shrimps either, maybe shrimplets yes but that applies to all fish species really, again I’ve kept CPD with red cherry shrimps in hard water and to be honest I have not seen CPD hunting shrimps as both these are almost the same size :lol:

Celestial Pearl Danios imho will not actively hunt down shrimps either, maybe shrimplets yes but that applies to all fish species really, again I’ve kept CPD with red cherry shrimps in hard water and to be honest I have not seen CPD hunting shrimps as both these are almost the same size :lol:

Of course I am talking about shrimplets not the shrimps.
Did you read my message carefully?

I kept otocinclus with red cherry shrimp for months and the breeding never slowed down.

It's possible they might I suppose, but what I gather, they feed almost exclusively on soft algae, and perhaps some micro-organisms that are found in those same places for some protein, but absolutely tiny micro organisms that you need a magnifying glass to see, they're not actively hunting down shrimplets, have never even seen them graze a corpse.
@seangee also keeps them with breeding colonies of shrimp.
They're about the most peaceful, none predatory fish you can get.

But, the point is moot since otos do best in a group, and this tank is too small for 5-6 otocinclus.

OP, you got a bargain! It's a perfect tank for aquascaping and shrimp, and getting the CO2 and all those quality products with it too!! Amazing deal. I'm pretty jealous! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

I think I was “watching“ this tank a few days back when mine was leaking. (Twas an osmosis problem with filter cable, sorted now.)
Lotta extras with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back