FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mon17

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I would like to start my first Community Tank. I've read A LOT of information about tropical fishes and Im very exited to have some of them. Im struggling with how many Liters/Gallons needs every fish that I would like to have. Due to the difference of equivalencies and "mistakes" in many pages referring to that I only get confused. I got a tank of 60L and my goal is a colorful tank so I would like to have:
- 1 or 2 Dwarf Gourami. (I read 2 males is the best combo).
- 2 Platys Rainbow. (2 males).
- 6 Neontetra. (All males).

Thank you !
Monica.

The fish that you listed are not compatible with your setup. Neon tetras are a soft water fish while platys are a hard water fish. Also, having two male dwarf gouramis in a 60-liter aquarium will not work.

You do need to find out how hard your water is. Your water provider's website may have this information - you need a number and the unit of measurement.

As Crispii mentioned, two male dwarf gouramis won't work in a 60 litre tank. These fish are territorial and would fight over which one 'owned' the tank.

No shop will be able to give you only male neon tetras. It is very hard to tell the gender when they are young, and no shop worker would be prepared to select individual fish from a tank of many neon tetras. If you are worried about them breeding, it is very rare for neon tetras to breed in a home aquarium as the eggs need to be in the dark to develop.

The best site for researching fish is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/

@Crispii and @essjay are correct, you need to stock your tank with fish that can handle the water you have. Soft water fish like tetra store up nutrients in the water because there is so little in soft water. You put them in hard water they will continue to store up nutrients to unhealthy levels because their bodies are designed to do that. Just like eating to much fat is unhealthy for us. Hard water fish in soft water do not get the nutrients they need which is also unhealthy. In both cases their lives are shorten.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back