New Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

suffolkboi61

Reaction score
Hi all
just registerd here, my name is Joe and am totally new to keeping an aquarium.
I have just set up a new 60 litre tank and am looking to get tropical fish for it, now I have been told by two seprate people about the waiting period before introducing the fish to the tank.
1. 3 days
2. 10 days.
can someone please let me know which is correct?

thanks

You need to do a fishless cycle before adding fish

Hi
thanks for the advice, have started the fishless cycle with the bottles that came with the tank, just have to wait now for the fish.

Nutrafin, Cycle
Nutrafin Aqua Plus

I see. I won't place my hopes on the nutrafin cycle though. Since you're doing a fishless cycle, have you got your ammonia? You'd need a water testing kit too.

not got the amonia yet and pets at home where i got the tank said to bring in a sample next tues and they would test it for me.
As I said I am new to all of this so forgive any silly sounding questions :)

not got the amonia yet and pets at home where i got the tank said to bring in a sample next tues and they would test it for me.
As I said I am new to all of this so forgive any silly sounding questions :)

Goodies. No no not at all, I'm pretty new myself and I was a total blockhead when I started out :lol: Hope all goes well, I'm excited for you!

When you take your water to pets at home what they are testing is.. tap water.. so its obviously going to be safe for fish.

chances are if you put a few fish in.. they MAY die unless you do water changes every day.

or you can buy live bacteria and put it with tap water in your tank..then if you can brrow a filter from an established tank ( which will benefit your tank cycle with beneficial bacterias ) and let the filter run...wait until the water make some bubbles..which will be sign saying its working..wait about 10 minutes, make sure the temperature is right..then put the decorations and graves and what not...and put the fishes in...

i always done mine this way and never had any problems..as i hate waitting for cycle to be done ;)

bacteria dies after a few hours... wouldn't last in a bottle on a shop shelf for 2 weeks...

But borrowing some sponge from a cycled tank will speed it up.

When you take your water to pets at home what they are testing is.. tap water.. so its obviously going to be safe for fish.

chances are if you put a few fish in.. they MAY die unless you do water changes every day.

that would increase more chance of dying..if you do water change everyday, thats more chlorines and other chemicals keep going in to the tank and depends on what filters you have and since the tank isnt even estalibshed that well..you might just end up with falling in love with water conditioner..dont do water change everyday until your tank is estalished for a while..and do not need to do water change everyday..even if you do decide to do so, only do like 25% or a bit less...

.and we all know how frustrating it could get as a beginner...and the less time you put your hand in the tank the less fishes will be stressed..

i highly recommand you my method next time..try it..hassle free..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back