New Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

always4lora

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've finally completed my new tank , below is a link to video taken on my phone, no idea what the goldfish is but one my dad had in his pond he said i could have, it's not in there permantly just for a couple of days to check the water and get the filter going then it's off to a new bigger pond:)
It only has one eye and like's the flow!

The tank is 72"x30"x30

It has a 5500lph pump going from a roughtly 50-70g sump , i have a 1800lph pump in the tank along with another overflow returning back to the sump. I did try with no pump going back into the sump but the pumps to powerfull and emptied the sump and overflowed the tank!

There is a HMA filter hooked into the tank which in theory should bring the water levels up, the sump has an overflow which go's to a drain so when the water rises it empties down the drain.

The planned stocking is a bunch of Polypterus's (bircirs) , 1 wild oscar, a datnoides campbelli, 1 PBass,1 florida gar, pair of rays (if i can keep them alive long enough) and some tin foils .Asian Arowana would be great but due to the cost might end up grabbing a black arowana if i can find a biggish one.

The tin foils will need growing out in a smaller tank , as will the pbass, florida gar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkyqab0sCcc

The gar and oscar will eat everything. If you're going to mix these fish, you need to keep a bunch of feeder goldfish in the tank. Also remember a gar is a fish that can reach upwards of 9 feet long and 200 lbs in the wild.

The gar and oscar will eat everything. If you're going to mix these fish, you need to keep a bunch of feeder goldfish in the tank. Also remember a gar is a fish that can reach upwards of 9 feet long and 200 lbs in the wild.
lol

If you want something that is gar-like, eats feeder fish, and is perfect for the tank try a needle fish. Leave small barbs/tetras out and stick to cichlids and more aggressive types that can defend themselves.

If you want something that is gar-like, eats feeder fish, and is perfect for the tank try a needle fish. Leave small barbs/tetras out and stick to cichlids and more aggressive types that can defend themselves.

Needle fish would get eaten by the bichir's once they get nearer ther full grown size. Florida gar's top out at around 2 foot max (never been a 9foot florida gar, cant remeber ever seing alligator gar;s getting to 9 foot before!) in aruarium's and generally are not agressive at all.

Oscar' wont eat anything even when fully grown it wouldnt eat anything, not big enough at all. Tin Foils get big, bichir;s get aroujnd the 18inch mark, Datnoides should eventually get big enough too. Pbass is the one im being carefull with due to their sheer muscle!

Stocking's fine, should be for a good number of years , i'm only having this tank for a few years as when i move house it will be taken down and most likely upgraded.

I'm from Florida and I have personally seen 4 foot gar in small canal openings. If you go out into Everglades national park, you can tengo with a 6 footer easily. Heres a cool video of this dude's pet gar.
http://en.kendincos.net/video-ddnhlfj-florida-alligator-gar-kills-fish-deadly.html

You may be able to find a semi grown needlefish at the store but just make sure whatever you put with it cant swallow it in one gulp.

An oscar eating a tinfoil barb; that would be something for the record books.

What bichirs are you thinking of?

Size / Weight / Age

Max length : 132 cm TL male/unsexed; (Ref. 5723); common length : 59.5 cm TL male/unsexed; (Ref. 12193); max. published weight: 9,610 g (Ref. 4699)

Yep, 6ft. Of course.

You seem to be getting confused between Lepisosteus platyrhincus and Atractosteus spatula.

Yah,a regular florida gar would not get that big. I have seen massive alligator gar around though. I was definitely confusing the two.
Despite this, don't put a gar in. There's no telling what may happen in that tank. You have a better chance for smaller fish to survive in here with proper ornamentation. That one fish in there already swims from one side of the tank to the other in a fraction of a second.

What, can a gar operate a filletting knife now?

Edit- nice sneaky edit there. It originally said that 'the gar will still eat half the inhabitants', or something along those lines.

Gar's are not generally agressive and will not kill something they cannot eat.

As for which poly's i have these:
Ornate 7"
Senegal 7"(this will have to moved when the others get bigger).
Weeksii 13"
3 Lapredei's 10-13"

Not quite a poly but 2 rope fish (these will be rehoused as they might look a little worm like for the other fish.

I am getting a WC Congicus on Wednesday which should be around 12" , this should become a monster when it grows! :hyper:

Recently lost a big 12" endlicherri so will be getting another of them.

Edit- nice sneaky edit there. It originally said that 'the gar will still eat half the inhabitants', or something along those lines.

you have to watch these edits!

Sounds like you're making an outdoor world tank. Any plans on what you intend to feed these fish? Just make sure you don't miss a feeding.

Look fish have teeth , my snakeheads have teeth and theyre in with other fish that are not snakeheads and they are fine. I don't use feeders, i use hikari massivore pellets and cichlid pellets and some floating arowana sticks. The gar although only a few inch atm is already taking arowana sticks, the poly's eat anything. the rest of the fish will easily be fed on massivore. I'm not sure if you've kept many differernt fish but combinations do work, if anything in alot of tanks that have gars in the gar's can quite often be bullied by other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back