New tank with snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Hemidemisemi

Reaction score
I set up a brand new tank 3 days ago and I bought live plants that, unfortunately, came with pond snails. I've noticed that they're leaving a lot of waste behind and I'm worried about ammonia levels in the tank. I'm getting my fish in 4 days and I don't want to introduce them into an unhealthy tank but I'm worried about doing a water change so early into the set up week. What can I do?

I donā€™t think the snails would be putting out too much waste. How big is your tank?

Ok, I would get an ammonia test kit or strips if you donā€™t have any and test it, I couldnā€™t imagine a Few snails doing much too the water, I have hundreds in my 40 gallon and I donā€™t notice more waste than what the fish create

I have just used tetra safestart plus but not Seachem Stability. I would think the Stability if it is like safestart it would take care of any ammonia until you do a water change. Just how many snails are you talking about? I do not think they would cause a problem. Get a test kit like @CryptFan said

Ok, I would get an ammonia test kit or strips if you donā€™t have any and test it, I couldnā€™t imagine a Few snails doing much too the water, I have hundreds in my 40 gallon and I donā€™t notice more waste than what the fish create
I tested the water a little earlier today and I didn't see anything off, all the nitrate and nitrite levels looked good

Well if the amonia levels arenā€™t elivated than you donā€™t have to worry about ammonia. I think the snails will just help the tank cycle faster

I have just used tetra safestart plus but not Seachem Stability. I would think the Stability if it is like safestart it would take care of any ammonia until you do a water change. Just how many snails are you talking about? I do not think they would cause a problem. Get a test kit like @CryptFan said
There's at least three to four snails that I've seen. They're all very small and I've been trying to find them so I can pick some out. Stability adds bacteria to help break down waste, according to the bottle

Well if the amonia levels arenā€™t elivated than you donā€™t have to worry about ammonia. I think the snails will just help the tank cycle faster
That's great to hear, thank you! I'm taking a sample of my water to a local pet store to get a more comprehensive test done on the water later this week, but from what I've done everything down seem normal. Thanks for your help!

I set up a brand new tank 3 days ago and I bought live plants that, unfortunately, came with pond snails. I've noticed that they're leaving a lot of waste behind and I'm worried about ammonia levels in the tank. I'm getting my fish in 4 days and I don't want to introduce them into an unhealthy tank but I'm worried about doing a water change so early into the set up week. What can I do?
Just out of curiosity what fish are you putting into this tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back