New tank with snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hemidemisemi

Reaction score
I set up a brand new tank 3 days ago and I bought live plants that, unfortunately, came with pond snails. I've noticed that they're leaving a lot of waste behind and I'm worried about ammonia levels in the tank. I'm getting my fish in 4 days and I don't want to introduce them into an unhealthy tank but I'm worried about doing a water change so early into the set up week. What can I do?

I don’t think the snails would be putting out too much waste. How big is your tank?

Ok, I would get an ammonia test kit or strips if you don’t have any and test it, I couldn’t imagine a Few snails doing much too the water, I have hundreds in my 40 gallon and I don’t notice more waste than what the fish create

I have just used tetra safestart plus but not Seachem Stability. I would think the Stability if it is like safestart it would take care of any ammonia until you do a water change. Just how many snails are you talking about? I do not think they would cause a problem. Get a test kit like @CryptFan said

Ok, I would get an ammonia test kit or strips if you don’t have any and test it, I couldn’t imagine a Few snails doing much too the water, I have hundreds in my 40 gallon and I don’t notice more waste than what the fish create
I tested the water a little earlier today and I didn't see anything off, all the nitrate and nitrite levels looked good

Well if the amonia levels aren’t elivated than you don’t have to worry about ammonia. I think the snails will just help the tank cycle faster

I have just used tetra safestart plus but not Seachem Stability. I would think the Stability if it is like safestart it would take care of any ammonia until you do a water change. Just how many snails are you talking about? I do not think they would cause a problem. Get a test kit like @CryptFan said
There's at least three to four snails that I've seen. They're all very small and I've been trying to find them so I can pick some out. Stability adds bacteria to help break down waste, according to the bottle

Well if the amonia levels aren’t elivated than you don’t have to worry about ammonia. I think the snails will just help the tank cycle faster
That's great to hear, thank you! I'm taking a sample of my water to a local pet store to get a more comprehensive test done on the water later this week, but from what I've done everything down seem normal. Thanks for your help!

I set up a brand new tank 3 days ago and I bought live plants that, unfortunately, came with pond snails. I've noticed that they're leaving a lot of waste behind and I'm worried about ammonia levels in the tank. I'm getting my fish in 4 days and I don't want to introduce them into an unhealthy tank but I'm worried about doing a water change so early into the set up week. What can I do?
Just out of curiosity what fish are you putting into this tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back