New tank with snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I agree on the cories, they must have a group (they are shoaling fish) but there really is insufficient space here; the Betta will be fine alone (snails no problem).

On the snails...these do not add to the bioload of the tank because they eat organics already there (fish excrement, dead plant matter, algae, uneaten fish food, etc) which breaks them down faster so the bacteria can handle them. These harmless snails (pond, bladder, Malaysian, whichever) are you friend in any aquarium.

Seachem's Stability is OK to use, I have used it. The Tetra SafeStart is probably better but as you have the Stability it will still help.

I agree on the cories, they must have a group (they are shoaling fish) but there really is insufficient space here; the Betta will be fine alone (snails no problem).

On the snails...these do not add to the bioload of the tank because they eat organics already there (fish excrement, dead plant matter, algae, uneaten fish food, etc) which breaks them down faster so the bacteria can handle them. These harmless snails (pond, bladder, Malaysian, whichever) are you friend in any aquarium.

Seachem's Stability is OK to use, I have used it. The Tetra SafeStart is probably better but as you have the Stability it will still help.
Thanks so much! I'll keep the safe start in mind for the future and thanks for the advice!

If you want to get rid of snails, put a small piece of zuchinni in the tanks at night and pull it out in the morning. Repeat several times and you will get almost all of the snails in time.
FWIW, you want some scavenging of uneaten food and some turnover of the top of you soil that some snails contribute.

Most reactions

Back