New tank upgrade soon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

J CZA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gal w a honey gourami and 3 small Cory catfish and recently got 3 piscis catfish. The fish are still small and I'm battling brown algie.. It's almost gone but the tank water is brown. It needs a wc. I get my paycheck on the 22 and have been planing to upgrade the tank for a while now and was thinking on what size tank. Some big tanks have good sails and was wondering if i should go for a 29 gallon or higher... There is a 75 gallon with a stand for $300. So I'm not side if going big is better. Also when the tank is upgraded is there any other fish that would be good to have since the honey gourami is the only fish with color.

Also i have sinking food (omega one shrimp pellets) that my fish love. How often do I feed them since the piscis catfish eat it whole...

The white gravel in my tanks I have are chipping alf losing the paint. When I upgrade the tank is there any hood gravel to get? Like pea gravel? I like the mix i made with white gravel w a little black and pea gravel to balance the color.

Get whatever tank you can afford and move. But generally the bigger the tank, the more options you have when it comes to keeping fish. eg: You will be able to keep a lot more fish and a wider range of fish in the 75 gallon tank compared to the 29 gallon. You water will also be more stabile in the bigger tank.

And if you have pictus catfish (Pimelodus pictus, - silver body, black spots and long whiskers) then they will need the 75 gallon tank.

If you get a double tier stand you can have the 75 gallon on top and the smaller tank underneath it, which can be used for baby fish or just to quarantine new fish for a month before they are added to the main display tank.

----------------------
If the colour is flaking off your gravel then you have painted gravel. Look around and you should be able to find white or brown gravel that is not painted and will not flake.

----------------------
Pictus catfish should be fed a variety of food once a day. You can use raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp, frozen (but defrosted) bloodworms, or any bottom feeding pellet that is small enough for them to eat.

----------------------
If you can tell us how hard (GH) the water is and what the pH is we can give you ideas on compatible fish.

Get whatever tank you can afford and move. But generally the bigger the tank, the more options you have when it comes to keeping fish. eg: You will be able to keep a lot more fish and a wider range of fish in the 75 gallon tank compared to the 29 gallon. You water will also be more stabile in the bigger tank.

And if you have pictus catfish (Pimelodus pictus, - silver body, black spots and long whiskers) then they will need the 75 gallon tank.

If you get a double tier stand you can have the 75 gallon on top and the smaller tank underneath it, which can be used for baby fish or just to quarantine new fish for a month before they are added to the main display tank.

----------------------
If the colour is flaking off your gravel then you have painted gravel. Look around and you should be able to find white or brown gravel that is not painted and will not flake.

----------------------
Pictus catfish should be fed a variety of food once a day. You can use raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp, frozen (but defrosted) bloodworms, or any bottom feeding pellet that is small enough for them to eat.

----------------------
If you can tell us how hard (GH) the water is and what the pH is we can give you ideas on compatible fish.
I have the master test kit but it dosent have hardness. I think that the water is hard. The Ph is high above 8. I have Ph down but the directions are confusing.

Rainbowfish will be fine in hard alkaline water and the smaller species will be fine with the honey gourami. More info on rainbows can be found at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Livebearers will be fine in alkaline water too.
Thanks! I found a really good deal on a 60 gal tank w a stand for $269 ill try to get it and cycle it for about a month.

If you set the new tank up and let it run for a couple of days, you can move the filter and fish from the 10 gallon straight into the new tank and the filter will keep the water clean. Then you won't have to cycle the big tank. After a couple of months the new filter will have cycled and you can then either leave the old filter on it, or move it back to the smaller tank and set that up with something else.

Personally I would keep both filters running on the big tank and use the small filter on the small tank when you get new fish and quarantine them.

If you set the new tank up and let it run for a couple of days, you can move the filter and fish from the 10 gallon straight into the new tank and the filter will keep the water clean. Then you won't have to cycle the big tank. After a couple of months the new filter will have cycled and you can then either leave the old filter on it, or move it back to the smaller tank and set that up with something else.

Personally I would keep both filters running on the big tank and use the small filter on the small tank when you get new fish and quarantine them.
Ok. Like I did before. That sounds good. I have the carbon filters and was planing on getting filters without the carbon after i use up the carbon filter pads I have.

Add sponges to the filter now so they have time to develop the beneficial bacteria before you remove the carbon cartridge. You can also put round sponges on the intake tube of most external power filters and that will give you more filtration media.

Add sponges to the filter now so they have time to develop the beneficial bacteria before you remove the carbon cartridge. You can also put round sponges on the intake tube of most external power filters and that will give you more filtration media.
Ok, I'll do that. The tank water is dirty and i need to do a wc soon. How many fish do you think a 60 gal could hold

What are the actual dimensions of the 60 gallon tank, (Length x width x height)?

What are the actual dimensions of the 60 gallon tank, (Length x width x height)?
Dimensions: Tank: 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H Stand: 14.25 in L x 50 in W x 30 in H Capacity: 60 gallons

Depending on the species of fish, filtration, the amount of food going into the tank, and the water changes you do, will determine how many fish you can keep in the tank.

My tanks were 4ft long x 14inches wide x 18inches high and got fed heavily twice a day, and I did a 75-80% water change and complete gravel clean each week. I kept about 20 adult rainbowfish in each tank. The fish were about 4 inches long.

You have 3 pictus catfish already so you could keep 5-6 pictus, 8-10 cories and 10-20 x 2-3inch fish if you do a big water change each week. The pictus will get big (about 5 inches) and will eat small fish so you should be wary of adding anything small to the tank. Adult pictus can eat male guppies :)

Depending on the species of fish, filtration, the amount of food going into the tank, and the water changes you do, will determine how many fish you can keep in the tank.

My tanks were 4ft long x 14inches wide x 18inches high and got fed heavily twice a day, and I did a 75-80% water change and complete gravel clean each week. I kept about 20 adult rainbowfish in each tank. The fish were about 4 inches long.

You have 3 pictus catfish already so you could keep 5-6 pictus, 8-10 cories and 10-20 x 2-3inch fish if you do a big water change each week. The pictus will get big (about 5 inches) and will eat small fish so you should be wary of adding anything small to the tank. Adult pictus can eat male guppies :)
Thanks, that's good to know. I like rainbow fish and centerpiece fish. Is there any good fish maby larger than my honey gourami that is good w other fish?

My fish have been doing good for a while now with know trouble. I think one of the nerite snails is ded so I have it in a Tupperware in the tank... I'll check on it later. I have 7 fish in the 10 gal. And 2 bettas. I only feed them omega one and the catfish go crazy for the shrimp pellets.

Last edited:
I have kept Geophagus cichlids with adult rainbowfish but some Geophagus will probably eat the honey gourami :)

You should feed your fish a variety of different foods to maximise their nutrition intake and to prevent them becoming addicted to one specific food. You can feed dry, freeze dried, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods to fish.
Frozen foods can range from prawn, fish, squid, mussel, etc. You keep it in the freezer until needed, then remove a small amount, defrost it and use a pair of scissors to cut the food into small bits. Offer a few bits at a time until the fish are full. Remove any uneaten food after. Lots of pet shops sell frozen marine Mix, which consists of prawn, fish, squid and sometimes vegetable matter and you buy a pack, keep it in the freezer and take out one or two blocks for feeding.

The most commonly used freeze dried foods are bloodworms and tubifex. Do not feed live tubifex because they are gross and just about always cause internal problems to fish. The freeze dried tubifex are fine but the live tubifex are bad.

Other frozen foods include bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp and daphnia.

Live foods can be any small fly, moth or mosquito that is free of chemicals (like bug sprays). Mosquito larvae, Aphids from a rose garden, weevel larvae (sometimes found bags of flour or rice), newly hatched or adult brineshrimp, daphnia, baby fish or baby shrimp.

I have kept Geophagus cichlids with adult rainbowfish but some Geophagus will probably eat the honey gourami :)

You should feed your fish a variety of different foods to maximise their nutrition intake and to prevent them becoming addicted to one specific food. You can feed dry, freeze dried, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods to fish.
Frozen foods can range from prawn, fish, squid, mussel, etc. You keep it in the freezer until needed, then remove a small amount, defrost it and use a pair of scissors to cut the food into small bits. Offer a few bits at a time until the fish are full. Remove any uneaten food after. Lots of pet shops sell frozen marine Mix, which consists of prawn, fish, squid and sometimes vegetable matter and you buy a pack, keep it in the freezer and take out one or two blocks for feeding.

The most commonly used freeze dried foods are bloodworms and tubifex. Do not feed live tubifex because they are gross and just about always cause internal problems to fish. The freeze dried tubifex are fine but the live tubifex are bad.

Other frozen foods include bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp and daphnia.

Live foods can be any small fly, moth or mosquito that is free of chemicals (like bug sprays). Mosquito larvae, Aphids from a rose garden, weevel larvae (sometimes found bags of flour or rice), newly hatched or adult brineshrimp, daphnia, baby fish or baby shrimp.
Wow, thats alot of food. Id probubly use the frozed blood wormes w the bigger tank.

Do you know anything about the siamese flying fox? I got one and a algie eaters from petsmart and they all died separately b4 I got home... than i got a replacememt algie eater and that one died too than I got the catfish from walmart and two of them got cault up in the net and one has a piece of the net on its left fin/barb. I got a little off and hes still doing fine it dosent hinder him. Than I got the third catfish free. Now after all that bs I get half off on any fish from petsmart.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back