new tank transfer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sbrown64

Reaction score
Hi
I currently have an aqua one regency tank (220litres) which I am going to break up and throw away. I have ordered a new rio125 tank.
My question is, if I plug my existing filter into the new tank, how quick before I can transfer my two fish? I also have a very large piece of wood which is totally covered with green algae which I would like to transfer over, but would like to clean it up a lot. What are the best ways to clean it? or what fish will eat it?

Regards
Stephen

If you move the existing filter into the new tank, you can move the fish at the same time. The filter media and fish need to be in the same tank, and it doesn't matter which tank as long as they are together.

The Rio tanks have a filter attached to the tank walls. You have the option of removing this filter and using the current filter instead; or taking out all the new media and 'persuading' the current media to fit in the Juwel filter. Sponges can be cut up to make them fit, and ceramic media can be put into a mesh bag.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of taking the media out of the old filter and placing it in the new filter box, with the new filter sponges.

What are peoples thoughts on the Juwel sponges? use or use something else? Also I have a large piece of mopani wood which is covered in green algae which I don't want to throw away, but wondering how to clean it or what would eat it?

Regards
Stephen

The Juwel sponges are fine, but some need to be thought of differently from what Juwel say.

Blue sponges - fine, they do what Juwel say.
Green sponge - supposed to remove nitrate but doesn't. Pretend it's another blue sponge.
Black sponge - carbon, not needed routinely. Leave it in the cupboard until neded to remove medication of the fish get sick.
Cirax, if that's included - a ceramic medium, does what they say.
White pad - this is first in the direction of water flow and is intended to catch the big bits to stop them getting into the sponges. It clogs quickly and goes into holes when washed. Buy a length of filter wool from a roll and use a white pad as a template to cut up the sheet of filter wool. It's much cheaper than buying Juwel's white pads.

And of course ignore everythig Juwel say about replacing the media every few months. Apart form the white pad, which needs replacing every couple of weeks, and the black sponge, if you decide to use it, the blue and green sponges and cirax only need washing in old tank water.

Thank you again for your reply.
What are your thoughts on what to do with the wood?
Regards
Stephen

I forgot about the wood. Just scrub it under the tap.

If you think you could hold it still while using a power washer - ours would blast it across the other side of the garden :)

To clean decor, I use a toothbrush, a cheap one bought for fish use.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back