New tank stocking help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Joev75

Reaction score
Hi, I could do with some help with stocking my tank please, going round in circles.
I have a 200l fluval approx 100x50x44, ph is 7.5, temp 25c.
I currently Have 7 black neon tetras and one bristlenose, my husband is dead set on having 2 dwarf gouramis but I am a bit stuck from there. I would like some shrimp, I love watching them and donā€™t want the tank too full but it looks really bare at the moment. There are plants, fake rocks and driftwood.
Is there anything I could be looking at?

thanks

Can you provide us with the GH of your tap water? No need for a test kit (unless you already have one for GH), check the website of your water authority, it may be there.

While waiting for that, I will caution that two dwarf gourami is likely asking for trouble. Two males will likely not get along (they are territorial, all gourami are), and a male and two or three females (preferred) may not be easy to find. They also can carry the iridovirus which is not treatable. Honey Gourami are similar and more peaceful and less risky. Or some other small/medium gourami species, you have the space for many of these, depending.

Can you provide us with the GH of your tap water? No need for a test kit (unless you already have one for GH), check the website of your water authority, it may be there.

While waiting for that, I will caution that two dwarf gourami is likely asking for trouble. Two males will likely not get along (they are territorial, all gourami are), and a male and two or three females (preferred) may not be easy to find. They also can carry the iridovirus which is not treatable. Honey Gourami are similar and more peaceful and less risky. Or some other small/medium gourami species, you have the space for many of these, depending.
Thanks, our water is moderately soft.
Iā€™ll have a look at the other gouramis, do they not carry the virus?

Iā€™ll have a look at the other gouramis, do they not carry the virus?

Most agree the iridovirus is confined to the Dwarf Gourami. Some caution that it may infect other species, but generally it is believed to be confined to the DG. It is still evident in some of the fish raised in the Far East (SE Asia) which is why acquiring the fish from a reliable local breeder is usually if not always safe. Never buy this species from fish chain stores, as there is every likelihood their supply is from SE Asia farms.

Is that what your water company says?

When a water company in the UK says 'moderately soft' they mean somewhere in the range 2.8 - 5.6 dH or 50 to 100 ppm. Fish keepers would call this just 'soft'.

Is that what your water company says?

When a water company in the UK says 'moderately soft' they mean somewhere in the range 2.8 - 5.6 dH or 50 to 100 ppm. Fish keepers would call this just 'soft'.
Ah ok, I think I have a test for it in the set I got, I will give it a check out of interest. Thanks

Testing your own water parameters on a regular basis is a great habit to cultivate. ;)
I have been testing nitrites, ammonia and nitrates daily šŸ˜‚ itā€™s a relatively new set up so trying to make sure itā€™s right. Iā€™ve checked ph but thereā€™s also the gh and kh I wasnā€™t sure about

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back