New Tank Setup

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

James Gok

Reaction score
Im in need of some help! Im currently fishless cycling a Biorb Life 60ltr. I would like to get a figure 8 puffer. I realise the tank is on the smaller size but within the limits according to my research. I am looking to upgrade the tank eventually anyhow(It looks great but not the most practical!).
Im concerned that although I will wait untill the tank is cycled will the f8 be too much for the tanks first fish? should I start with maybe 2 bumblebee gobies(as they r brackish also), but is there then room for a f8 also?
Please help!!!

Most puffers are recommended species only, from what I can tell it's the same for this one!
Also some say they will grow to max 6cm, others say 20cm, either way be on the side of caution and wait until you get a bigger tank.
But as far as puffers go, I think, species only mate!
I don't want to recommend something and have the puffer attack it and possibly kill it!

I have done a lot of research which all say they grow to 3 inches max! It's so confusing, I no you can't believe everything you read that why I have read so much. Would you be able to give me the link to the site you got that on please?

I would wait until you have a larger tank. Keeping puffers in smaller tanks than they should never turns out well. Id recommend a 20g at the VERY LEAST preferably bigger....and in terms of tank mates, id say none. Puffers usually end up eating anything they can get at in the first place. Remember this is a lowend brackish water species as well...

Im also worried the biorb wont allow for enough gas exchange due to its design.

It's also a no from me & don't forget that puffers need there teeth filing down every now & then, you'll have to do this yourself so be prepared for this

It's also a no from me & don't forget that puffers need there teeth filing down every now & then, you'll have to do this yourself so be prepared for this

True true. It also depends on their diet.

Now dont take this as discouragement though, puffers (in my experience) are very rewarding to keep! Especially when you come home from work and see your ball of a fish hovering around like a helicopter staring right at you waiting for food! Just get your bigger tank going first.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back