New tank set up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SKILLY

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you can help me!
I have kept tropical fish before many years ago, with not too much of a problem (as far as fish were concerned) but PLANTS, could i grow em!! No chance.
I am just in the proceeds of setting up a brand new 36"x 12"x 15" tank, and my intentions are to concentrate just on having a planted tank with only the necessary fish to create the correct biological environment. I have done some research, and have set up the substrate in the tank from 2 to 4 inches at the back. I have added Latterite to the first layer as instructed and added only few plants, no fish yet as the tank will have a lot more plants (which are ordered). The lighting at present consists of two 25 watt bulbs, with the option to add another when the other plants are in. I have allso ordered a CO2 floormat, of which i have no idea what it looks like. The plants are arriving on tuesday/wednesday but i have noticed that the bog wood that i have put in is covered in what looks like fungus. Its a bit like very fine cotton wool. I actually took the piece out and scrubbed it in boilinb water 2 days ago but it has just come back. Can anyone tell me what i can do to cure this, as i am pannicking that it may spread to the plants/fish when introduced. Plus it looks very unsightly!

Ta,
SKILLY :)

A pleco/ ancistrus will eat that algae/fungus.

William

I have a common ancistrus whihc I have been assured will not grow above 5 inches by my lfs is this correct?  If so I recommend :) cause they are very active.  Yes plecos will grow but when it grows and in a plant only tank it shouldn't grow too fast you can simply take it back to the fish shop and they will be happy to give you another little pleco in exchange after all they think "ahhaha that little pleco he won't clean their algae at ALL!! " lol! In fact smaller ones are more active and better so go small :)  Otherwise get a couple of otos otocinclus and read this article:
Otocinclus- Little monkeys in a planted aquarium

William

Hi Skilly.
About your lighting are you using 25 watt household bulbs?
Normal lightbulbs don't contain the correct light spectrum that plants need so you'll still have problems as the light source isn't the right type the photo-synthesis. I'm sure you can get the correct bulbs from youre lfs(they do marine ones so I'd say you should get freshwater ones. Maybe Davy can help with this) Most people tend to use fluorescent strip lights as they last longer than bulbs, and have a bigger range of spectrums.
Also how far is the light source from the top of the tank? Thats another factor that needs to be taken into consideration.
Try this link to calculate the correct wattage Tank Calc

Fungus on Bogwood usually means it's not dead, so I don't advise using it, as the fungus will always grow back.

On the planted bit, sounds like your going the full hog. To start with it'll be trial and error, If you need help go to the plant section of the forum, and Rose should help better then any of us ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back