New Tank Plans ..

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thank you!

Forgot to say ... the male platy has all the signs of dropsy. His scales are stuck out, he's a bit swollen up. He's withdrawn, tries to eat but just spits it back out and he's a bit unsteady aswell. It may not be dropsy - could be something else. I jumped to that conclussion when I say his scales and the pineconing people speak of on here.

I've dosed the tank, all other fish seem fine and now it's just a waiting game. The stuff I got was for internal parasites - there was a real lack of meds in p@h today. I've no idea if I've got the right stuff to help him. As you say Soybean, I've done my best, the rest is up to him.

I'll pm you the postcode when I finally decide which to do. There's been quite a bit of good info given to me today and I'm running it all round in my head. I've no real need to rush now that the fry are being moved. I may go back to p@h and have another look at this fluval, take it's measurements, work out if it will fit and where etc then go from there. I'll keep you posted.

In all fairness that's what I said! :lol: get the fluval!

And, with regards to the platy, I would do the kindest thing and kill it. If its bloated then I doubt it will recover. Just net it and leave it in a bucket unless you have any clove oil?

And, with regards to the platy, I would do the kindest thing and kill it. If its bloated then I doubt it will recover. Just net it and leave it in a bucket unless you have any clove oil?

sorry! yes you did - didn't mean to offend :unsure:

I can't kill him. I've got to give him chance. The tank has been medicated and he is a bit more active this afternoon and this evening. I'll see what the morning brings.

Now the babies have been moved all the fish have suddenly become more active ... I think that breeding net was stressing them

As hard as it is, I do agree with this. I have let many fish pass away calmly and quietly in a bucket or a jug, rather than try to treat something like pine coning, because it's not likely it'll recover fully. But fair enough if you want to give him a chance.

Hopefully everyone will be a bit more content for now.

when you say net it and leave it in a bucket do you mean without water so it suffocates? He's wedged himself behind the filter now and if he's still like that tomorrow I may have to do the kindest thing. I'm not the kind to drop a brick on an animal and do it quickly - I'm not squeamish or anything I just couldn't do that. I'd rather flush it than do that!!

Yep, an empty bucket. Clove oil in some water would be a lethal anesthetic though if you prefer that method.

I've just posted 3 pictures of him on my other thread 'male platy with dropsy' Will you have a look and see what you think please

when you say net it and leave it in a bucket do you mean without water so it suffocates? He's wedged himself behind the filter now and if he's still like that tomorrow I may have to do the kindest thing. I'm not the kind to drop a brick on an animal and do it quickly - I'm not squeamish or anything I just couldn't do that. I'd rather flush it than do that!!

I don't mean an empty dry bucket! I use clove oil these days, but like you I am a bit squeamish, so I used to simply place the ill fish in a jug with a couple of inches of tank water, cover the jug and leave it somewhere quiet. Usually it would be dead within 24 hrs and more importantly hadn't infected any other fish.

Flushing is worse for the fish than a brick on its head...I don't fancy the latter, but I would do it over flushing if it was my only option. I'm sure I'd be a bit girly and hysterical about it, but the fish wouldn't suffer in the u bend!

okay. Back to the original reason for this post ... new tank plans.

I'm still doing some research but I've found other options online. My lfs where all my fish have come from have their tanks systems under offers now too.
There's a Jewel Rekord 800 on sale for £139.99. That's for the tank, filter, heater and lighting. The size is 81x36x45cm 110 litres.

Opinions on that one please?

They also have a clearseal 36x12x12inches for £49.99 - doesn't include any filter, heater, hood etc - cheaper than p@h

They only stock one Fluval there - the Fluval edge which I'm not keen on

Interested to get any idea's on those two from you lovely people

The problem with the Clearseal for you is that you don't want an open topped tank so by the time you have added that into the equasion you will be over budget.

The Rekord sounds good though.

The problem with the Clearseal for you is that you don't want an open topped tank so by the time you have added that into the equasion you will be over budget.

Thanks, yes the clearseal one would make it over budget as you say I'd have to get a lid (about 50 quid at p@h for a 36") I'd still have to buy a heater and filter.

I may pop down to my lfs in the new year and see if this Jewel is available to view (it's a small store) and find out how long it will be available for that price

Thanks, yes the clearseal one would make it over budget as you say I'd have to get a lid (about 50 quid at p@h for a 36") I'd still have to buy a heater and filter.

I may pop down to my lfs in the new year and see if this Jewel is available to view (it's a small store) and find out how long it will be available for that price

You could order it now at this price, pay half now, half on collection...

Still think 125ish litres would be better in the long run. How long is the rekord?

The size is 81x36x45cm 110 litres = 32x14x18 inch by my tape measure lol

Do you think that one is a good deal then Soybean?

The size is 81x36x45cm 110 litres = 32x14x18 inch by my tape measure lol

Do you think that one is a good deal then Soybean?

So not quite 3 feet long... Hmm. It's not bad, it's better than two foot certainly, so if you're happy with it, and happy with everything that comes with it, and you're not planning on going mad with stocking, it could work. I'd still be tempted to look for a bigger second hand one, but that could always be an option for another day!

my plans for today are to go to moorlands (my lfs where all the fish have come from) and have a look at this jewel and a chat with the staff about it's filter etc. Then to travel in the opposite direction to cascade (on the ripon rd - not my usual lfs as they tend to be expensive) to have a look at tanks there - see if there is any offers on etc. Then call at p@h to get the measurements of the fluval I'd looked at.

Then I can come home and have a good think about what I want to do.

Stocking wise with this new tank I'd like to put all my platy babies in (there was 14 not sure if there still is 14 as they're now in my old 26 litre and they're good at hiding), the two tuxedo platies too and the female sunset (mum of the babies), move the 3 oto's and the cory's too. Then I'd plan to add one bronze cory and 2 peppered bringing my existing bunch up to 3 of each.

I'd plan to either get rid of my guppies or put them into the 26 litre until they expire of old age and sell on the 2ft tank and stand. (as for male platy - he's still alive and trying to eat, has unclamped his fins - but I know his life is in the balance so I'm not including him until I know his fate)

The new tank would be thickly planted (that's already decided) and I'm considering sand as a substrate

Stocking wise am I on the right path or have I got too many in there?

Most reactions

Back