New Tank Plans ..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
Santa's wasn't as kind as I would've liked so my plans for a bigger tank are on hold until I can save a little more cash :look:

I've been looking at my platy fry this morning and they are getting quite big now. They are a little over 2 weeks old and if they carry on growing as they are they will be able to be set free in a week - 10 days I think.

If anyone within the North Yorkshire area hears of a 2nd hand 100 litre tank (at least, more if possible) for sale can they please message me the details. Filter isn't needed as I plan to re-use my PF2 (no cycling needed I hope) but a larger heater will be needed.

Thanks guys :)

youll probably need a slightly bigger filter than a PF2 (Unless it is just going to be a very large fry tank of course...)

Just checked the PF2 instructions and it will filter up to 90 litres so depending on what size tank I can get I'll have to move the media across. I'll probably look at another interpet filter as I like this one (easy to maintain etc)

Hi whats your budget? I can help look if you like :) Have you checked out Aquarist Classified and ebay? - if you do need a bigger tank move the filter media over with the fish at the same time and fill in with new media as the bigger filter needs and you will be fine - same amount of fish = same amount of bacteria (more a less).

Wills

Just checked the PF2 instructions and it will filter up to 90 litres so depending on what size tank I can get I'll have to move the media across. I'll probably look at another interpet filter as I like this one (easy to maintain etc)
yeah, why not... Interpet PF3! i use a PF1 myself... did you remove the carbon foam by any chance? if not do so now :)

Hi whats your budget? I can help look if you like :) Have you checked out Aquarist Classified and ebay? - if you do need a bigger tank move the filter media over with the fish at the same time and fill in with new media as the bigger filter needs and you will be fine - same amount of fish = same amount of bacteria (more a less).

Wills

yes, i would reccomend looking at those sites as well :)

yeah, why not... Interpet PF3! i use a PF1 myself... did you remove the carbon foam by any chance? if not do so now :)

Wills

Just wanted to add are these PF3/4 filters the interpet ones? If so they are actually the worst filters I have ever had they constantly clog up and break, they have huge holes all over them that let small fish swim into them and trap them until you dig them out dead or alive :/ If they are working well now stick with it but if you upgrade I would change brand or just have a back up filter ready should this one pack up.

Wills

Wills

yes, these are the interpet ones... the PF1 and 4 are pretty crap but the 2 and 3 have less holes and are actually pretty decent... i still prefer fluval, hagen and tetra though... but the PF1 (which I have) works well when you apply 700 degrees in a few places...

Just wanted to add are these PF3/4 filters the interpet ones? If so they are actually the worst filters I have ever had they constantly clog up and break, they have huge holes all over them that let small fish swim into them and trap them until you dig them out dead or alive :/ If they are working well now stick with it but if you upgrade I would change brand or just have a back up filter ready should this one pack up.

Wills

Hi, just got home and read the replies. Will try to answer all the questions in one go!

My present filter is an interpet PF2 and I like it but I have no experience of other makes/models etc so will take any advice on better/easier to clean ones that there are on the market. I've not had any fish get chewed up by the filter as yet.

At present I have £100. The new tank I had my eye on is £140 - including heater, filter and lights. It's a Marina 95 litre. I've no idea of what it's filter/heater type is yet as I've not asked any questions until I have enough cash.

I also have a 10% off voucher for p@H (where I've seen the new tank)

I have checked Ebay but all the tanks up for auction at present are way out of my area and traveling distance but I will be checking back over the next few days for any unwanted xmas gifts or people who got new tanks for xmas selling their old ones.

I have a neighbour that keeps tropical fish (he got me my existing tank for free - bless :) ) and I've seen him over the weekend and told him I'm looking for something bigger. He says his work mate wanted rid of one so he'll have a word after the holidays. Possible chance of a 4ft one there maybe. It will depend on price as I'll need to get filter and heater for that.

As I said in my OP - if anyone see's or hears of a 3ft or 4ft tank up for sale in the North Yorkshire area please let me know. And in the meantime any advice on filters would be great - so long as they're arn't rediculously expensive that is :)

Thanks Akasha :D

Ah right fair enough :) If your not opposed to going larger than the 95 you can often get a Roma 125 or Juwel 125 for about £150 both of which come with good filters and the Romas sometimes come with externals :) If you are able to travel to Leeds there are often a fair few second hand ones around there. Also good time of year to be looking for tanks as people get them for Christmas and 1. ether never set them up or 2. set them up badly, fail and give up and sell on :/

I will keep an eye out for you thouhg :)

Wills

Thank you very much Wills. I'm fairly close to Leeds and I am able to travel. Harrogate is fairly central for Leeds, York, Bradford etc.
Thanks for the advice regarding other makes of tank aswell. I'll have a look at those. Not sure about external filtration though ... heard they're a bit of a nightmare if you get a power failure

I have been running externals for about 2 years now and had a few power cuts but never any real problems with them. Maybe your thinking of sumps?

Wills

ooo actually just remembered - if its not too far to travel I am in Hull and there is a shop near me that has a second hand (but practically new, dont think its ever been used) Roma 125 with stand, filter, heater and lights for £150

Wills

Hi again, things are forcing my hand a little. My male platy is poorly (possibly dropsy?) and I'm blaming stress. I need to act quickly. I'm going to seek out my neighbour tomorrow and see if he still has my old 26 litre tank that I gave him for breeding. If he has and isn't using it I'm going to ask to borrow it back. I'll get it set up and move my fry over into that within the day if I can. Then it's going to be a case of dosing the tank with some kind of meds in the hope of either curing the platy or at least making his final days happier :sad:

I get my pay on the 4th so I'm going with the tank from p@h. I can't wait for ebay to turn something up. I need to reduce the stress in my tank by giving them more room.

Hopefully by removing the fry net (which is taking up a lot of room in the tank)and the 14 fry inside will relieve things long enough to set up the new tank.

My plan is to make some enquiries about the filter/heater/light system in this marina set up whilst I'm there buying meds then I can post the stats here and let the more experienced tell my how good or bad the filter/heater etc are.

So, I've been down to p@h to get some meds for my poorly platy so took the opportunity to ask questions about this tank.

The filter is a marina and it hangs on the back of the tank. It's classed as internal but I've no idea about how good or bad it is. The heater is rubbish. Even the staff member that was helping me (the only one in there that knows anything about fish! I got lucky today and he wasn't busy) said he'd chuck it in the bin. You also get some tetra safe start in this deal.

In all honesty the tank looks okay, the lid and light look good but the filter bothers me and I'd have to buy a heater.

There's 2 other options. There's a couple of Fluval's down there. One is 90 litres but that it made up of height and depth - it's length is less than my 2ft so it's not ideal for my cory's or what I'm looking for. The other is around 3ft and priced at £189. The filtration it comes with is much better as is the heater...

I hate decisions like this.

I'd love to be able to afford the 3ft Fluval but even with the 10% voucher off it's £170. The marina (with possibly rubbish filter and definitely rubbish heater) with the voucher comes in a £126. ARGGHHHH

Help somebody please :fun:

+1 for the Roma 125. Absolutely fantastic tanks. Very decieving in the amount of space these tanks hold.

Externals are far better than internals, they offer a greater media capacity, usually a great flow and give you can so much room inside.

Personally i would save my money until i had enough to get the 125 over the Marina. Tried Gumtree for tanks in your area?

Here...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/3ft-fish-tank-with-lid-50/93684199

:D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back