new tank new zebra danios

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ioanna

Reaction score
I'm a complete new comer to fish keeping and after waiting for my tank to cycle took myself off to the pet shop. My problem is this, i bought 3 zebra danios {was going to get more but this was all they had in the shop} now one is slightly larger and definately rounded than the other two. Now is this female and pregnant?? and if she is, when will she lay her eggs?? I have had the fish 3 days now and i am panicking {my husband thinks i have completely lost it, as i keep running from the computer to the tank to inspect the fish}. I understand from reading other messages what to do if it is a she and pregnant but when do i seperate her??? :/

P.S i have a 15 gallon tank

Zebra Danios are not livebearers, which means she'll need a male around to spawn: she will lay her eggs while he drops his "stuff", whatever it's called in English :lol:. But having a round belly may be a sign she's ready to spawn. Zebra Danios usually spawn easily, and repeatedly, the problem is keeping the fry alive. You're going to need a separate tank to raise them, because the eggs, and hatched fry will evetually be eaten my the grown-ups. I have 2 Danios, male and female (just 2 because I bought them for cycling), and they've bred several times, but the fry never survives for even a week in the tank. The best way to go about keeping them alive would be to have a separate spawning tank where you can place the male and female, and then remove them as soon as they're done with their business.

Well I wouldnt be so sure to day that she is pregnant, because females are usually more plump than the males. I thought one of mine were pregnant and she hasn't had babies for 4 weeks. HTH :thumbs:

I am going to seperate them anyway, just to be on the safe side. My husband is moaning now as i am going out to buy a small tank and equitment for a spawning tank. He was only going to buy me a goldfish bowl. I will let you know what happens. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back