New tank, new post! Woohoo!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Good! So exciting!!

Yes, you can put it in there......:)

I would love to see the pictures of the sprouts! ;)

Early days but enough to know they’re going.
E72FEF71-CCDE-4FCD-88E7-472EBD317190.jpeg
817EF166-008B-4F83-842D-E7E4BD4A42DA.jpeg

All the little green extensions are new :)

Their commercial name is Betta Bulbs but the scientific name on them is ‘Aponogeton.’

Aponogeton is the genus name of the plant. Any idea what the species name is?

It just says (sp.) after aponogeton. I don’t think that’s specific enough though :(

I haven’t yet bought it but plan to get that filter. I’ll also pick up some decor for my tank next week.

Sweet! Any ideas on what decor you would want to get? Are you going “exotic” or “natural” looking? :)

I think it’ll be a combination. Some fake blue & purple silk plants were requested & I plan on a variety of live plants.

Black sand and blue gravel (the same as my niece’s) is the planned substrate. I have decor in mind but haven’t picked it up yet. Why can’t aquarium stuff be free? Lol!

It’s shaping up to be a really cool 55g set-up. I’ve researched a ton and am pretty happy with my ideas. Just need the right sales and money in my pocket.

I’m prepared because half beats the full price. They are crazy expensive But so worth it to do a larger tank.

Oo those sound fun - I’ll look into aquascaping holders!

Ah right on, I’m glad I checked! Thanks so much on the warning. I’ll get a bigger filter for the bubbler (Nemo: the bubbles, the bubbles, the bubbles!) not doing many but I wanted one corner bubbler to jazz up this underwater spectacular I have outlined in my mind.

Oh the 45-5. The 10 will be strictly a grow/quarantine tank with no long term fish. Every plant or fish will go through there before entering the large tank. Then the 10g can sit ready for emergencies.

I’ll look into flourishe! I’ll research carpeting plants. I was aiming for gravel and sand in different areas of the tank. I think the one I briefly forgot was the amazon sword.

My kitties are all under 15 lbs but inquisitive enough for me to know to take precautions. They are well trained and would be trained with the tank but it’s better to be prepared for everything in my book.

The kitties will not have access to the 10g as it’s in a cut off part of the house thankfully! So any emergency fish or new fish won’t have prying eyes either.

Is a python no spill maintenance device really worth the $? It is a larger tank that means hauling loads of water so I am considering buying one to run into the tank for removing water during water changes, and into a pair of buckets beside the tank to fill so I don’t have to haul buckets but just treat the water & then siphon it in. Good plan or is there a better option?

Oh and I was suggesting a 300 watt because winters here can get pretty chilly and the temperature dips at night. Should I swap to the 200 or is my plan of the 300 model appropriate?
The No Spill Python, in my opinion, is totally worth it for large tanks! Oh, and the Flourishe is actually Seachem Flourish. Might help you when looking for it. :)

Lol, same here! I just wish you could go to a fish store, and everything was free! :lol:

So are you planning on making the blue gravel kind of like a “stream”? :)

Awesome news on the python! Its price has had me scratching my head but after seeing a video demonstration I was impressed. Thanks for the input.

My plants are getting seachem flourish :)

Actually I hadn’t worked the layout out that thoroughly. Blue as a river is a really cool idea though! I just know I’ll get some sand to spice up terrain and make some corys happy. Gravel to make the humans happy (I sat there sharing every gravel color online & after all that they still wanted my niece’s!)

Cool! I love the idea of having a “river” underwater. Just get black or brown sand, put the gravel down after the sand, and then put a little bridge over the “river”! So exciting! :D

Small question! I wondered about Microbe-lift - I already have it from setting up my niece’s tank. Now my question is, should I still buy MarineLand BIO-Spira Freshwater Bacteria? Is it basically going to do the same thing as microbe-lift or is it a different kettle of fish? Can they work in tandem or will they affect each other?

Small question! I wondered about Microbe-lift - I already have it from setting up my niece’s tank. Now my question is, should I still buy MarineLand BIO-Spira Freshwater Bacteria? Is it basically going to do the same thing as microbe-lift or is it a different kettle of fish? Can they work in tandem or will they affect each other?

These products are bacterial supplements, intended to promote the establishment of nitrifying bacteria especially in new tanks. It should not be necessary to use any of them once the tank is cycled. And once opened, their shelf life is very limited.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back