New Tank Mates!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mammabe

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Betta is king of his 75 gallon kingdom with only a few mollies, a dwarf frog and several loaches of various kinds, 3 cories and then I added 5 red tail minors (tetras) to the mix. Everyone seemed fine at first, then I noticed the next day, they sometimes would chase the betta and he is swimming so fast to get away from them! :hyper: and then he would hide in the weeds for awhile and not come out until I would approach the tank... Anyway, I am so angry at those little devils. They do look good in there, and I was even thinking of adding 3 more to make a bigger group (side note: I've read on here that they should be in groups of 6 min.) but now I am not so sure if they are going to terrorize my beautiful betta!! :sad:

I haven't seen any nipping directly, but the chase is on and the betta hides most of the time now. Well, it's only been 2 days. I was thinking of calling petsmart and asking them if I can return them and maybe try some large danios or another docile fish. Unless this is normal behaviour as they get use to each other? Maybe adding a few more will help?

Please let me know your thoughts - I am going to wait before I do anything until I have some advice from you guys first, to contemplate.

Thank you!

B

:/

I'd either find a different tank to put the tetras in or rehome them. Most tetras just can't resist long flowing fins such as what the betta has. This won't end well leaving things as they are. You could try taking them back to P@H and see if they'll trade for something a little less nippy.

Tetras are nippy, & best not kept with Battas
I have some Golden corys that were in a tank with tetras at my Lfs & half of them only have one eye as the tetras nipped their eyes out.

I'd either find a different tank to put the tetras in or rehome them. Most tetras just can't resist long flowing fins such as what the betta has. This won't end well leaving things as they are. You could try taking them back to P@H and see if they'll trade for something a little less nippy.

That is what my gut is telling me... unfortunately.... :byebye:

Thanks for your input.

B

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back