New Tank: Lessons Learned

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Robertadamplant

Reaction score
Hello and good health.

Five years ago my wife suggested we get a fish tank and some Neon Tetra. Finding a nice 120 litre (24 UK / 30 US Gl) for Ā£20 on a local selling page, I made the short drive to collect what would be our first aquarium. At the time I had an allotment and while I didnā€™t actually get to grow anything before moving for work, I had decided to apply similar aspirations to the tank.

I canā€™t recall how I heard or learned about Java Moss but a quick Google Image search demonstrates some highly creative ideas for what I would learn to be part of the art of aquascaping.

As simple as it is, and I wish I could credit the artist, this is the image that inspired me in my first aqua scape:

11A5A325-6F9E-4612-8288-6CE1788D33C3.jpeg

Of course the more I read, the more I learned that setting up a new fish tank is not just a case of filling a box with water and dropping in the fish; amongst other things such as fish compatibility, choice of substrates, choice of plants, high or low-tech and scaping materials, there are water parameters, temperature ranges and of course the nitrogen cycle to consider.

Given all those decisions and with so much to learn with regards to our first steps into this hobby, it was more than six months before we would see water inside the tank (other than our initial clean and leak test of course).

Given the desire for a full carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis) to complement the Christmas Moss (Vesicularia montagnei) chosen for the tree canopy, a high tech set-up with light and CO2 injection seemed like a clear and no less exciting choice.

The fish less cycle seemed to go well initially, with a considerable amount of time spent adjusting the CO2 output and lighting patterns to allow sufficient build up of carbon dioxide prior to the lights coming on, timed to turn off just as levels had fallen sufficiently and back on again for an afternoon session of photosynthesis.

the first real issue we encountered was that of hair algae; I had read about it and considered the options to combat in advance so I cleaned out the majority with an old toothbrush and invested in a handful of, what I had learned of them as, Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata).

So almost nine months after buying the tank, and the first life to be added were actually crustaceans: The shrimp did a fantastic job of clearing up the remaining hair algae and thanks to this fantastic little clean up crew it never returned.

Given that we now had almost six months of fish less cycling, 12 months of research and stock selection, great water parameters and now a fully carpeted tank, it was time to add the fish:
4859AE2C-5FA8-4D73-B704-16441E73D1FA.jpeg

Five years, nine tanks (of both increasing and decreased sizes) later and I have just set up my latest (500 litre tank); they stopped being my wifeā€™s after tank number two when we introduced a couple of fancy goldfish to the household.

The stocking consists of:

E33AD508-485E-4FB0-ADF1-8745C56B63A5.jpeg

Consolidating from two Juwel Delta tanks, establishing this tank took over a year, from acquiring the tank, building the stand, making the underwater sand fall, choosing the plants and deciding on filtration but I got there in the end. I imagine it will be another couple of years before the next upgrade but the research has already begun and it is said that the journey can be just as enjoyable as the destination.

I have learnt three new things with this build:
  1. test before siliconing in hard scape (still having issues with the sand fall).
  2. Give plants at least a month to establish roots before introducing fish.
  3. My wife does not enjoy the hobby as much as I.
Thank you for reading and I hope this finds you well.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Last edited:
Great post, I remember keeping fish 20 year ago but my memory of it was similar to your opening, I had a tank filled it with water, heater cheap internal filter and fish, a 12 year old me would crumble some fish flakes in it every day, god knows how those fish survived with no up keep what so ever.

In reality tho speaking with my parents I was told the tank was a mess.

Now tho we have places like here for help and thankfully we can enjoy this hobby relatively stress free lol

My fish adventure started 11 years ago when I found a 40 gallon tank someone was throwing out. I brought it home showed my dad and we set it up. Added a cheap filter, light, air stone, and plactic plants, filled it with water and threw some fish in. who knows how many died in the beginning. We hardly did any upkeep. I think we changed the water once every 3 or 4 months. This carried on for 10 years. We had so many problems with the fish looking back. I remember clamp fin was big. Finally about a year ago we had pretty much killed everything in the tank. I think we had 1 guppy, 1 swordtail, 1 zebra and 2 adult corydoras left. I decided to deep clean the tank. Ended up crashing the tank. Everything died except the 2 Corydoras. It pissed me off, I wanted to figure out what happened. It was then I realized I wanted to learn more about fish. Here I am 1 year and 9 fish tanks later and I'm still learning. Now I just have to figure out where # 10 is going

Great post, I remember keeping fish 20 year ago but my memory of it was similar to your opening, I had a tank filled it with water, heater cheap internal filter and fish, a 12 year old me would crumble some fish flakes in it every day, god knows how those fish survived with no up keep what so ever.

In reality tho speaking with my parents I was told the tank was a mess.

Now tho we have places like here for help and thankfully we can enjoy this hobby relatively stress free lol
The Internet certainly is a great place for learning; I found there to be lots of conflicting advice and generally two or more schools of thought for certain topics with a myriad of people seeing different results for similar setups and stocking choices.

I guess, since so many report different findings, there is a lot to be said for learning simply by just doing.

My fish adventure started 11 years ago when I found a 40 gallon tank someone was throwing out. I brought it home showed my dad and we set it up. Added a cheap filter, light, air stone, and plactic plants, filled it with water and threw some fish in. who knows how many died in the beginning. We hardly did any upkeep. I think we changed the water once every 3 or 4 months. This carried on for 10 years. We had so many problems with the fish looking back. I remember clamp fin was big. Finally about a year ago we had pretty much killed everything in the tank. I think we had 1 guppy, 1 swordtail, 1 zebra and 2 adult corydoras left. I decided to deep clean the tank. Ended up crashing the tank. Everything died except the 2 Corydoras. It pissed me off, I wanted to figure out what happened. It was then I realized I wanted to learn more about fish. Here I am 1 year and 9 fish tanks later and I'm still learning. Now I just have to figure out where # 10 is going
I can remember my old man having a fish tank when I was a young lad; I think he kept guppies. I guess when the wife suggested getting fish she unleashed a long overdue passion that had laid dormant for 30 plus years. Iā€™m sure she regrets it now though ? I think she may just resent having an extra job to do when Iā€™m away. Do you have nine tanks set up?

Yea they're everywhere. (2) - 7.5 liter Betta tanks, (1)- 11 liter Betta, (1) -19 liter Betta, (2) - 38 liter, (2) -110 liter, (1) 210 liter. I think #10 will be a 75 liter long breeding tank. Gonna try my hand at breeding Congo Tetras

Last edited:
Yea they're everywhere. (2) - 7.5 liter Betta tanks, (1)- 11 liter Betta, (1) -19 liter Betta, (2) - 38 liter, (2) -110 liter, (1) 210 liter. I think #10 will be a 75 liter long breeding tank. Gonna try my hand at breeding Congo Tetras
That is a lot of tanks! I kept most of mine, selling one 94 litre tank that I just couldnā€™t get on with, and as such my shed (and now garage) are lacking in useful space. I can appreciate wanting to breed: My original angelfish pair tried a few times but given the community tank they were in, plus the abundance of bladder snails, proved negative effects. I even went out and bought an egg tumbler and turkey baster but that was doomed to fail as well. Moved the pair into a different tank but the female died within a couple of days so I havenā€™t really considered it again since. I wish you all the best in your breeding aspirations though. Do you have a journal thread with pictures of your tanks?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back