New tank...ideas? Tropheus or Malawi?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

snook1983

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got offered a good deal on a tank and couldnā€™t say no.

The tanks size is 124cm x 40cm x 52cm high.

I orinally was thinking of doing lake Malawi, mainly yellow labs, however having kept these fish in the past I thought perhaps Iā€™d try something else.

Iā€™ve always wanted to give tangs a try, particular Tropheus Ikola / Bemba or similar.

Iā€™d like to know if you think the tank is big enough for these fish and if so what would the ideal sticking levels be.

I only want to keep one species of Tropheus, what would your recommendation be, if any....

Thanks in advance.

Two basic rules for Tropheus.

1. Only feed them plant matter/ plant based foods and NEVER give them meat foods, and this includes frozen bloodworms. The fish have long digestive tracts and if you give them meat based foods, the food usually starts to rot before it is expelled and the fish develop bloat.

2. Keep them in colonies of 10 or so and remove the weaker males when they get bashed. You end up with a male and group of females and then they are fine.

Apart from that, keep them in hard alkaline water and have good filtration to remove any ammonia as soon as its produced.

You could keep 10-12 adult Tropheus in your tank. Buy little ones and let them grow up :)

Thatā€™s good news, Iā€™m thinking 12 ikola then...

If and itā€™s a big if...I wanted to keep mixed species say duboisi, Bemba, kiriza...would that be possible in this tank?

My main concern with mixed species is if they breed the fry would be harder to move on as they would be interbred.

Opinions please ā˜ŗļø

Don't mix tropheus species. Just keep 1 species/ strain per tank.

Most reactions

Back