New tank for babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dracgg

Reaction score
Hi All
I had 8 fry in my main tank so I quickly ordered a new tank so I could separate them.. Not ideal I know as the second tank was not cycled but a better option than leaving them with the others to get gobbled up.
A week later I still have 4 so not too bad but not surprisingly the nitrate / trite levels are really high I'm doing 50% water change every 2nd day. Is it better to do every day? I have a few live plants in as well. Any other suggestions great fully received.
Thanks in advance

Not sure what type of fish you have, but when I had guppies, the fry mostly all survived and completely overran the tank. I never had to separate any of them for them to survive. I had a 10 gallon moderately planted and it contained only guppies so no larger more predatory fish.

My main point is - if the levels are really high and you've already lost over half of them... they really may fare better being put back into the main tank. Bad water quality kills fry a lot quicker than stronger adults.

Hii have a mixed community tank with Pearl gourami, guppies, harlequin and dalmatian molly. I am new to fish keeping and when I bought mollies was not told had 1 male and 2 female. This is the 3rd lot of fry and non of the other survived were eaten within 24hrs.

I think my best option might be to put these back in the main tank and leave the 2nd tank to cycle ready for other babies that are sure to come along.

Can you move some filter media from the main tank to the fry tank filter? This should introduce beneficial bacteria to deal with the poisonous nitrite. Major (40%+) water changes should be done any day that ammonia or nitrite is not zero. In general fry grow best with more water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back