New tank fish floating daily help!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ga_Anna

Reaction score
Just got a 29 gallon. Had it running for about 12-14 days before putting fish in it. Added 4 scissortail rasboras, 3 red eye tetras, and 1 cherry barb Saturday from my 55 gallon that I was redecorating and had an emergency with... Got a post on that. Sunday my son added 3 tiny catfish looking things with strips that suck the sides and 4 shrimp from the pet store. As of today I have from what I can see. 1 red eye, 1 scissortail, 2 stripped cats, and 2 shrimp. Here's the test results using a 6 in 1 tetra strip kit. 20 nitrate. 3.0 nitrate. 300 hardness. 0 chlorine. Maybe 120 hard to read blueish color alkalinity. Ph alkaline was a pale hot pink hard to read also, between 7.8/8.4. And my ammonia liquid test was .25 at least but wasn't green green like the .50. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Just got a 29 gallon. Had it running for about 12-14 days before putting fish in it. Added 4 scissortail rasboras, 3 red eye tetras, and 1 cherry barb Saturday from my 55 gallon that I was redecorating and had an emergency with... Got a post on that. Sunday my son added 3 tiny catfish looking things with strips that suck the sides and 4 shrimp from the pet store. As of today I have from what I can see. 1 red eye, 1 scissortail, 2 stripped cats, and 2 shrimp. Here's the test results using a 6 in 1 tetra strip kit. 20 nitrate. 3.0 nitrate. 300 hardness. 0 chlorine. Maybe 120 hard to read blueish color alkalinity. Ph alkaline was a pale hot pink hard to read also, between 7.8/8.4. And my ammonia liquid test was .25 at least but wasn't green green like the .50. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Having any nh3 and no2 is not great but I would say it’s wothin what’s safe , we’re the fish locally sourced ? Your PH is high and it’s possible if the fish have been bought from an area with a different water source it could be a ph shock but that is a complete shot in the dark

Reduce feeding to 2-3 times a week for the next month.

Stop adding fish for several months.

Don't clean the filter for at least 2 months. Then do it once a month. When you do clean the filter, wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. The filter case can be washed under tap water.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean 4-8 hours after feeding. Do this for a month and then do it once a week after that.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Post clear pictures and video of the fish so we can check them for diseases.
You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back