New Tank Filtration

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jonbokeron

Reaction score
I have just set up a 180ltr freshwater tank. My filter is a Tetra external 700 canister which should be sufficient. I have also added an Eheim pickup 2012 internal filter. My idea was to cycle the tank and then remove the internal filter but i am now thinking of using both filters permanently. My question is...is this ok?
The setup i want to create is an Amazon biotope with Angelfish, suitable tetras and Corys.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, from the biological filtration point of view, filter volume is filter volume. If you increase the surface area for the bacterial colonies to grow on then the colonies will be more spread out over these different places. They will grow to match the ammonia and nitrite concentrations you create during fishless cycling. I'm not sure what advantage you are after.

~~waterdrop~~

For me, I like having dual filtration to clear the tank of debris faster after water changes or having stirred up the gravel for any reason.

Hi GVG, nice to see you! Do you put in extra filtration temporarily (thus rendering it pretty much just mechanical filtration of course) for these times? (after waterchanges or gravel disruptions etc.)

I was thinking about it from an aesthetic point of view (which is only one aspect) where perhaps one has gone to a -lot- of trouble to keep objects, particularly "equipment" out of the field of view in the underwater scene. (Usually with young kids participating in the design this all goes out the window, lol) One of the major "features" of an external cannister filter is the ability to basically remove equipment from the aquascape. Adding back in an internal filter negates that feature, which was one of the exciting things about sumps and their more historically recent cousins, the external cannisters.

ah well, it's probably just me getting off on a bit of a side path on this topic.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Hey WD - I have dual filtration full time, actually. The HOB is almost completely hidden by tall plants, so that does not bother me. I was glad I had it running last month when my Fluval 205 canister died on me. I didn't have to stress when it took me a few days to replace it.

Sounds like that was very helpful GVG, especially for people like you and me that don't have a room full of tanks and extra equipment, right?

Do you think the motor aspect of the head unit on the Fluval burned out or something? I wonder how rare that is?

WD

No, I think the Fluval seal went bad. I kept the filter and plan to lubricate or replace and see if I can stop it leaking. Then I could have a nice backup equipment!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back