New Tank Cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EvanG98

Reaction score
Hi ,
I got interested in the hobby about a year ago and have had a 30 gallon community tank , the tank is fully established and have had no issues with water parameters.

I want to set up a small guppy breeding setup, I'm just looking for advice on how to cycle the breeding tank and what size tank I should pick up(was thinking of a 60litre tank just to start with, using a sponge filter and some live plants for the fry)

Was just curious if anyone had some good advice on how to use the media I have already built up in the 30gallon( I currently have a fluval bucket filter)

Thanks in advance

Hi ,
I got interested in the hobby about a year ago and have had a 30 gallon community tank , the tank is fully established and have had no issues with water parameters.

I want to set up a small guppy breeding setup, I'm just looking for advice on how to cycle the breeding tank and what size tank I should pick up(was thinking of a 60litre tank just to start with, using a sponge filter and some live plants for the fry)

Was just curious if anyone had some good advice on how to use the media I have already built up in the 30gallon( I currently have a fluval bucket filter)

Thanks in advance
The best way to do this would be to purchase a filter (sized to fit your 60litre) and add this to your already cycled aquarium, leave it there for about 6 weeks then remove and add it to the 60litre tank and this will instantly cycle it after being added. Alternatively, if you have anything inside your filter that could be divided between the two filters this could also work and is likely to cycle it instantly also.

Some sponge filters have a hollow core - I have one, and the instructions say the hollow is so I can use carbon if I want to. You could put mature media from the 30 gallon in the core.

This is filter type I have (mine is the smaller version as it's in a betta's tank)

When do you plan to set this new tank up?

If you plan to use only a sponge filter which would be perfect for the smaller tank, I would just set it up right away in the established tank and use it as normal for a month or 2 and then just bring it over to the small tank for an instant cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back