New Tank, Bowing (Flexing) When Filled With Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CatchAndRelease

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just started cycling my saltwater tank and I have noticed that the front (long panel) of the tank seems to be bowing forwards, not even half an inch in total (the hood still slides on normally, there is just a small gap). I've tried reading about this problem but I haven't found any definite answer. Is this something I should be worried about, or somewhat normal? It's a 29 gallon tank (30x12x18) with around 30 pounds (give or take) of live rock and I would hate to wake up to a soaked floor and everything gone to waste.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about, a slight flex is normal. Larger tanks need a centre brace, but I don't think a tank of your dimensions warrants one.

sod that, id be a little worried to say the least, any stretch shouldnt be really visible.. if it was new i would be getting someone out to look at it, if it was secondhand i would be putting the tank and stock on my household contents insurance,, if it does split and you havent told them youve got a tank fat chance they wont pay out
crazy.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back