New Tank - Aqua One Regency 120

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hurrah... Fish in a Regency 120 tank!

I did read about the health of some of the fish on arrival... Must be great to see some fish in there, after all the time and effort you've put into it. Fingers crossed they have a smooth move in.

I just thought I would update this thread with some pictures after I changed the substrate in the tank back in March 2009. It is now JBL AquaBasis+ (plant substrate), topped with black Roman Gravel :)

BEFORE:
168150b1.jpg

AFTER:
f716f967.jpg

0a3ce4f4.jpg

i dont usually like tanks with ornaments in but to be honest yours is the only one ive seen that i like!! whats the stocking now?

Thanks for the positive comments :)

Current Stocking List:

7x Corydoras Albino
3x Corydoras Black
10x Cardinal Tetra
1x Spotted Bulldog Pleco (L187a)
11x Dwarf Rainbox Fish (Melanotaenia Praecox)
15 (ish) Guppies, they keep breeding, and don't stay still - lol

Looking good mate.

I liked your old gravel too though, big and chunky.. haven't seem much of that look around but yes the black looks beautiful at night, specially with the purple light's we have on the regency 120's.

yours are live plants aren't they? they look nice. Has the bog wood decreased your pH levels at all?

Love the setup. :good:

I liked the old gravel too, but it had a tendancy to give the tank a 'dirty' look even when I knew it was clean. Also I found with the larger gravel it meant that there was larger gaps that the food tended to fall into where it would then have to be fished out of or vacuumed to stop it rotting, whereas the new black stuff, (actually more like dark grey due to the intensity of the T5's!), is a lot finer, doesn't have places for the food to get trapped, and the corys are more than happy enough to shuffle the surface layer around :)

Yes, all my plants are live plants, I decided to give it a go again with this tank and so far things seem to be going well enough. I lost all my twisted vallis as that just refused to grow in my tank, but the Amazon Sword and the Java fern seem to be doing quite well.
To be honest I haven't really noticed any drop in my ph levels due to the bogwood, but then they are not paritcularly huge bits, and I boiled them both in a large pot on the stove for about 2 days beofe putting them in the tank, so that removed a LOT of the tannin etc that colours the water and effects the ph.

Thanks for the nice comments :)

Hey Schmill,

I just noticed looking at your last posted picture that your intake from your CF1200 in the tank, has a sort of "Foamy" filter around it.... this surely isn't standard is it? It's a good idea though, what have you done??

:unsure:

Hey Schmill,

I just noticed looking at your last posted picture that your intake from your CF1200 in the tank, has a sort of "Foamy" filter around it.... this surely isn't standard is it? It's a good idea though, what have you done??

:unsure:

Hi Sorry, I've only just seen this, seems the topic stopped tracking, so I stopped getting notified of replies!

Anyhoo, it does (did) indeed have a foam filter around it. I added it at the time as I was planning on adding cherry shrimp to the tank, (however I now have them in their own tank witha mountain of java moss :) ).
As for what I did;
I got a cylindrical piece of course foam from my not-so-local aquatic store, and then put it into a bag of water, squeezed the foam a few times to make sure all the bubbles were out, and then sealed the bag (careful not to trap any air or squash the foam), and stuffed the whole thing in the freezer.
Once it had frozen I took the frozen lump out of the bag, and used a hot pan to melt the ice flat to the sponge on each end, (so that it would stand up, and also had a flat top).
Then I used a power drill to cut a hole the diameter of the filter pipe into the sponge.

Seems to be a LOT easier this way, and gives a better fit than just 'forcing' the pipe into the sponge.

It worked well, but I have since removed it as I have now decided against the cherry shrimp in this tank, and it seemed to get clogged a lot quicker than the standard filter mesh that is on the pipe.

Dazzlearoobob said:
Tank looks amazing. Thanks for such an indepth log of your cycling ups and downs. It really helped me.

Same appology to you, but I am glad the thread helped you :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back