New tank algae problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Holm_Tanks.

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been in the fish keeping hobby for a few years now, I've had a 20 gallon and a 40 gallon corner tank for 2 years. Both of these have only ever been all artificial decorations, rocks and fake plants mostly.

I never had problems with algae in these tanks, I always do weekly water changes. I would get some green algae on the glass and decorations once in a while all I would do is scrub the decorations.

I have recently made my first planted tank, it has been set up for two weeks now and all my plants are doing great. But during the last few days, I have started to get green string/hair algae on my driftwood and on my plants. Along with some brown algae building up on some leaves, on the sand, and on the glass. I've been doing about 30% water changes every Wednesday. I dose flourish once a week, and my light is on 10 hours a day, on a 5 hours on 3 hours off 5 hours on schedule.

Here's some specs for my aquarium.
-30 gallon
-canister filter
-nicrew full spectrum led light (on full power 10 hours a day)
- a dose of flourish once a week
-dirted tank with a sand cap

I have been removing algae using a toothbrush about every day since I noticed it. I am new to keeping planted tanks but I'm guessing that this amount of algae isn't normal/regular. I would like to get rid of the algae or at least have it be less. Do you have any recommendations for my problem?

To follow up, I don't know if this changes anything but...

The tank is not stocked the only livestock it has is two snails (I think they're bladder snails). I also have the ability to turn down the intensity of the light, I can turn down the amount of white it gives off and the amount of blue it gives off. Ive heard (by reading around the forum) that blue light is needed by plants but algae also thrives on it. So should I adjust the amount of light or the time that its on?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back