New Stock Question.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shelster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok, I have been doing lots of Internet searches, please can some experts advise on the stocking of my 54 litre tank?

I have decided on :

6 x green neons
6 x chilli rasbora
6 x Pygmy corydoras
2/3 sparkling gourami

* sparkling Gouramis would that be a case of one male, two females? What would be the best ratio and how do you tell them apart?

Thank you.

Have posted sparkling gourami question in gourami section.

I think the sparkling gourmis would be fine and so would the cory's but in my opinion the rasbora and neon's need a much larger tank,they may be small but they are very active.I may not be right about this but it is just my opinion,someone with a little more knowledge may be able to help.Perhaps replacing the rasboras with some endlers.we would be able to help more if we knew the tank dimensions and all the stats.

Alex

Thanks Alex,

Tank dimensions 2x foot long, by 1x ft wide, 1x foot deep.

I took the green neons from a post I read somewhere on here about fish for smaller tanks. I believe they can only get to 1 inch long (not as big as the red blue neons in my 180 litre)

Hmm, I have had a look at endlers, but not so keen.
If others agree the green neons are not a good choice, what about featherfins? Would they be compatible with the others mentioned.

Thanks for your reply.

i would up the number of chillis. they will be lost. they really are tiny.

what about ember tetra?

Oops, I was getting ember tetra and endlers mixed up! Actually I quite like the endlers, they are very close to guppies but maybe look a bit tougher! Yes sorry, it's the ember tetra I don't like.
I shall have a rethink :)

what dont you like about embers. once theyve matured and settled they are a deep orange.

sundandio alelrodi. they range from blue to green. theyr small slimmer bodied than embers and very active tight shoalers.

I guess as I want to get a few different looking fish from the stock in my 180 litre.

I have a shoal of 9 glowlight tetra in there and I guess by the look on google images, the ember tetra look quite similar - I appreciate that seeing them in an actual tank is a lot more dramatic colouration so I won't write them off until I see them in person.

Those sundandio fish look nice, just finding a stockist, never heard of those before.

r u in uk? my lfs gets them in regular. and he just uses normal suppliers no special orders from abroad just what suppliers have in stock

Yes I am, Cornwall based, ill have a look tomorrow as popping in to get some more RO water and drop off some choccies for the staff :)

What about some large Amano shrimp; little extra bioload, algae eaters and the most fascinating thing to watch in my tank!!!!

Are they susceptible to meds if required for the tank though? I do have a hospital tank that I could put them in if whole tank needed treating, however I can imagine they are a nightmare to catch?
Food for thought though, I shall have a look tomorrow, and see what they have.

Copper based meds are bad for shrimp; I have a 20 l tank on standby in case I ever need to isolate the shrimp. They're no more difficult than small tetras to catch!

ottos if youre not keeeping temps too high. a small group of 3 could fit in your tank aswell as other stock. when stockink think of the different levels fish use. cory habrosus stay on the bnottom. pygmaeus low to mid. chilli rasbora hug the water surface and sparklers top to mid so you have fish using all levels. all fish mentioned prefer larger groups so maybe with the exception of the sparklers u could just up numbers of each species

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back