New Stingray

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
I picked up this little guy today, he was in a shop i dont rate very highly which has an awful track record with rays and he was so active and healthy looking i couldn't bare to leave him there.

I'm not sure what species he is, possibly P.falkneri, but at such a small size i just can't pin an ID on him.

new_ray_029.JPG

new_ray_030.JPG

new_ray_032.JPG

Great find! Glad he was able to go to a good home. :good:

He looks to me like one of the peruvian motoros that are currently being shipped in mate. Good find only problem is knowbody knows that much about this species as knowbody has kept them for that long. Nice looking ray though mate doesnt look skinny from what I can see in the pics nice fat tail.

I'm pretty sure its not one of the motoro varients, i've been searching through web pages all afternoon and he doesnt look like any of them. He was labled as Potamotrygon sp. teacup :lol: and was only £75 so its probably just a varient of something really common.

easyest way to tell if its motoro is if it has 1 row of hocked spines along the lenght of its tail

All my rays only have one row of spines, can you explain what you mean? I've got orbygini, yepizi and two forms of motoro and i just went and checked all their tails and they all have a single row down the tail.

I just fed the new ray and i'm very happy to say the little fella is taking frozen prawn straight away, he even had the cheek to steal it straight out of the mouth of a bichir :lol:

some rays have 1 row of spines but if you look at motoro/pearl they have 1 row but they are like hooks not spikes

right i get you now, deffinately spines not hooks.

do you see what i mean now when you look at the other motoro they are like hooks not spikes

not sure about the peru motoro not seen many of them

but with normal/marble motoro and pearls they are hook thats why some people think that pearl are just a motoro variant

hi CFC

what size tank would u need for a stingray i would like to have one and can u get fresh water rays?

Lovely looking Ray, and by the sounds of it a really good save. Im sure though given some TLC itll just get better and better :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back