FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish4Life0290

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I just thought I'd create a log to show the breeding of mollies and the community interactions in my 20 gallon aquarium.  I recently added 6 silver mollies to the bunch so now the tank is stocked as follows:  1 male skirt tetra, 1 female skirt tetra, 1 bleeding heart tetra, 3 male sailfin silver mollies, 3 female sailing silver mollies.

Day 1:  12/26/15
I added the six mollies to the three tetras.  I noticed 1 female molly was rounding as a result of being pregnant. 

Day 2:  12/27/15
I noticed 2 female mollies were pregnant:  1 starting to round and the other rounded already.  I made plans to add 2 female Corydoras and 1 male Corydoras on or about 1/9/16 if I don't have fry at that time.

Day 3:  12/28/15
I noticed all(3) female mollies were pregnant:  1 starting to square and the other two in the rounding process.  I planned to postpone the Corydoras if my mollies give birth by then.  PH:  6.2 (before water change(it prompted the change))(low due to increased bioload) Changed about 30% of water.

Day 4:  12/29/15
I noticed all(3) female mollies were pregnant:  1 starting to square still and the other two still rounding.  PH:  6.4(low due to bioload)(am going to do change on 12/30). Added 1 cup of 1 tbsp salt to 1 gallon water mixture.

I will update day by day.  I hope to have fry soon.  Any questions/comments just reply and I will address them in at most a few hours.  Happy fishkeeping!

If any one has ideas for a net breeder to move the fry into please reply.  I cant find exactly what I would like by looking through google searches so any reasonable idea would be greatly appreciated.

Day 5:  12/30/15
All 3 females are pregnant: 1 almost fully squared, 1 starting to square, 1 with slight rounding.  PH was at 6.3 and I didn't get to change the water.  I think I should have fry in the tank in less than 1 week. 

I would also like to note that I am trying to study molly genetics during this period.  I am studying the inheritance of sailfins and colors and may add other characteristics as they show.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back