New Setup - Lake Tanganyikan

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

communityfluvalroma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am closing down my 240 litre tank this weekend in preparation for our house move (finally getting onto the property ladder).

Iā€™m going to get it set back up as soon as we move in and cycled. I have decided on a Lake Tanganyikan set up. Does anybody have any experience with this sort of set up?

Iā€™m really struggling with stocking. What species I can have with others. Amounts of fish I can have etc

Hi! What are your water parameters, and what are the dimensions of the tank? You have a lot of cool options with Lake Tanganyikan!

I live in a hard water area, so perfect for African Cichlids.

The tank dimensions are
  • 120cm x 40cm x 73cm (L x W x H
I have done a fair amount of research and decided on the below, based on their adult size. Whether theyā€™re all compatible together in my size tank is what Iā€™m hoping for advice on.

Cyprichromis
Julidochromis
Altolamprologus
Neolamprologus

The tank dimensions are
  • 120cm x 40cm x 73cm (L x W x H

I live in a hard water area, so perfect for African Cichlids
How hard?
Lake Tanganyika has a GH around 400ppm.

Cyprichromis and Paracyprichromis are open water fishes that live in large groups and should be kept in groups of at least 10 in an aquarium.

Julidochromis live around rocks and can be kept in groups or pairs.

Most Neolamprologus are territorial and a single pair might take over the entire tank when the start breeding.

You can mix some Lake Malawi with the above listed fish. Things like peacock cichlids (Aulonocara) or Protomelas work well and add variety.

How hard?
Lake Tanganyika has a GH around 400ppm.

311 mg/l (or parts per million):Calcium Carbonate
124.4 mg/l (or parts per million):Calcium
21.646 Ā°C:Degrees Clark
31.1 Ā°F:Degrees French
17.665 Ā°dH:Degrees German
3.11 mmol/l:Millimoles

Ok, so I'll discount Neolamprologus appreciate the advice.

Could I perhaps have 10 Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis (in open water), a pair of Julidochromis and Lamprologus ocellatus to occupy to bottom of the tank?

If I was to include fish like peacock cichlids (Aulonocara) or Protomelas, how many of these could I add do you think? I believe that cichlid tanks are often overstocked, is this to tone down on aggression or another reason?

Could I perhaps have 10 Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis (in open water), a pair of Julidochromis and Lamprologus ocellatus to occupy to bottom of the tank?
Yes, just have rocks over half the tank for the Julidochromis and sand on the other half for the shell dwellers (L. ocellatus). Have some shells or pvc pipe in the sand for them.

Peacocks and Protomelas are normally kept as single males or a male and 4 or 5 females. The males have a territory and keep a group of females in it so 4 or 5 females and 1 male would work in your tank along with the other 3 types of fish mentioned above.

The reason people keep lots of cichlids in a tank is to spread out any aggression. If there are 5 fish in a tank and 1 fish start picking on the others, they take a hammering. If you have 20 fish in the tank and 1 starts bullying, he is more likely to encounter someone who will stand up to him and any agro is spread out over 20 individuals so its less stressful to them.

Yes, just have rocks over half the tank for the Julidochromis and sand on the other half for the shell dwellers (L. ocellatus). Have some shells or pvc pipe in the sand for them.

Peacocks and Protomelas are normally kept as single males or a male and 4 or 5 females. The males have a territory and keep a group of females in it so 4 or 5 females and 1 male would work in your tank along with the other 3 types of fish mentioned above.

The reason people keep lots of cichlids in a tank is to spread out any aggression. If there are 5 fish in a tank and 1 fish start picking on the others, they take a hammering. If you have 20 fish in the tank and 1 starts bullying, he is more likely to encounter someone who will stand up to him and any agro is spread out over 20 individuals so its less stressful to them.

Great stuff, thanks Colin. After countless hours of trying to find the info myself, you've answered them all for me.

One last question before I let you go haha.

Below is the layout that I'd like to go for, just with more rocks on either side. Would this set up suit all 3 of the fish? I think I'll leave the Malawi cichlids for now and stick with the Tangs. Once I've got a handle on the Tangs, I'll look at introducing your suggestions as they'll definitely bring a lot more colour.

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 12.46.02.png

Below is the layout that I'd like to go for, just with more rocks on either side. Would this set up suit all 3 of the fish? I think I'll leave the Malawi cichlids for now and stick with the Tangs. Once I've got a handle on the Tangs, I'll look at introducing your suggestions as they'll definitely bring a lot more colour.
If you get a pr of Julidochromis, some Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis, and some shell dwellers, you won't need many more rocks on the sides but you will need some shells or pvc pipe in the sand.

You can also add some plants like narrow Vallis, Amazon Sword plants and Water Sprite. Grow the Vallis and Sword plants in pots and put a rock in front of the pot so you don't see it. The Water Sprite can grow on the surface or in pots.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back