New Set-Up Issues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Huskerpower27

Reaction score
Obtained a 45 gallon freshwater tank. Set it up and let it run/filter for approx 40 hours, and was told to add some feeder fish to start the biological. They reccommended i add 12 feeder goldfish. I thought this number seemed high, but what the hey? Within 48 hours of adding said fiah 3 have died. I tested ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels with these results:
Ammonia : between .50-1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate betweeb 40-80 ppm
Now, through research im guessing the 12 fiah were way too many, causing the ammonia spike.
Please help on what to do to remove ammonia and fox tank so i can right this problem. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum!
welcomeani.gif

Ah, now you have fallen into the trap of listening to LFS advice :/

A lot of LFS, not ALL of them mind you, will basically say just about anything to sell you their product without caring much what happens to the fish they sell to you :(

First, issue is the fact your tank is not ready yet for any fish. You need to 'cycle' this tank and filter in order to get the tank water safer and ready for fish. getting the tank 'cycled' basically means you need to cultivate bacterias to help deal with ammonia and nitrite which basically occurs when fish breathe and when they toilet in the tank.

Ammonia and nitrite (also nitrate) are all toxic to fish in varying degrees and we always recommend doing a "Fishless Cycle" means no fish in the tank at all until the tank and filter is ready.

Follow this article, it will help explain more and also guides you on how to cycle your tank, I have done this many times using this article and it is truly worth doing before adding any fish or shrimps etc

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

And one more thing, 12 goldfish in a 45 US gal tank is way too much am afraid, here is a beginners guide article to goldfish which will help you in starting your research about goldfish.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/417799-goldfish-for-beginners/

That will get you started off and unfortunately I would recommend you take back your goldfish to the store where you got them from and get credit or refund if you can and then start doing a fishless cycle.

Lastly, do be wary of any advice given to you from any LFS staff and please do research, ask questions etc on this forum to be sure before doing anything. Research is key ;)

Good Luck
good.gif

Most reactions

Back