New Saltwater Tank. Live rock?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

14ssmith

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just bought myself a 60gal salt water tank and am looking into getting live rock and was looking for recommendations on where to get some online or if any of you guys sell some as well. I am going to be doing a clown fish pair banggi cardinal fish and foxface fish. What else would you guys recommend to add as well? Or do more clowns?

I suggest looking for live rock at your LFS. It would be much cheaper than buying online.

It’s normally recommended to only get 1 pair of clowns per tank.

You could do a goby or a coral beauty. Do coral beauty’s are one of my personal favorites. :)

Do you have plans for CUC yet?

I suggest looking for live rock at your LFS. It would be much cheaper than buying online.

It’s normally recommended to only get 1 pair of clowns per tank.

You could do a goby or a coral beauty. Do coral beauty’s are one of my personal favorites. :)

Do you have plans for CUC yet?
I think I'm wanting to use emerald crabs for my cuc. Any recomendations?

If you plan to get live corals, I don’t recommend getting emerald crabs. They eat coral and other small fish.

Snails, hermit crabs, nudibranchs, and shrimp are all great for CUC.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "CUC" other than it appears to refer to some kind of invertebrates. What are they? Is that a requirement and what is most popular? (I'm not fond of anything that looks like a bug or snail) I'm getting ready to set up my first saltwater tank Fish and Reef. So after doing a lot of listening on youtube and book reading I'm looking for general knowledge and experience so I don't sound too stupid or overlook something obvious I should know.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "CUC" other than it appears to refer to some kind of invertebrates. What are they? Is that a requirement and what is most popular? (I'm not fond of anything that looks like a bug or snail) I'm getting ready to set up my first saltwater tank Fish and Reef. So after doing a lot of listening on youtube and book reading I'm looking for general knowledge and experience so I don't sound too stupid or overlook something obvious I should know.
CUC = clean up crew (snails, hermit crabs, shrimp, etc.)

You can create a new thread asking your questions, so Colin and I can help. :)

Well I don't know where everybody lives that they have a wonderful LFS but the one here (besides Petsmart/Petco which carries virtually no saltwater supplies) is awful - he may have 2-3 tanks of mostly invertebrates, he charges nearly double for all the food he sells compared to what they sell it for online and his live rock prices run about $149 for a single medium/large sized rock that isn't particularly pretty - and since he lied to me once about the species of fish that he sold me, then refused to take it back I''m hesitant to purchase again from him- oh and he has piranha that he'll feed for you if you give him $5 I don't have much respect for him. The piranha bin is unlabled and not covered so any child (or adjult like i sort of am could easily just stick thei

I ended up buying some "Life" rocks which are fairly porous rocks that resemble live rocks and they some times paint them that purple color but after reading further I've decided to get about 10lbs of LIVE rocks to mix in with my life rocks. Kind of the best of two worlds - you save a huge amount of money buying life rocks but you get the advantage of all the biologicals and the filtering capacity of the LIVE rocks, The other issue with LIVE rocks is that in some cases they pay people to swim down to the reefs and they just chop of chunks of real ocean reef, but the "new" way of doing it is to get the same highly porous rock then sink it in the ocean for a few years - pull it up and it should have most of the biological material on it as the ones that are real reef but they don't endanger our ocean reefs.

I'm finding LOTS of sources for LIVE rock but so far they are out of stock so you have to just check online constantly. Ebay says they have some but the sellers want $150 to to ship 10-20 lbs because they think they must be sent overnight and that's a LOT of weight - in reality if you know how to pack the rocks properly you should be able to eep them wet and ship them by UPS ground for much cheaper. While you have some live organisms growing on them that need to be kept in a little water, it's not like you're shipping a fish where you need a LOT more water. I don't know - maybe they do need to ship you part of the ocean every time you buy some from them but it seems really extreme to me. I wonder if breaking up the order into multiple shipment doesn't save a significant amount of money too. When I got my life rock (which was stunning) they shipped them in two boxes due to the weight. I appreciated it to. I once had an aquarium stand shipped to me and the idiot shipper but it up right in front of my screen door. I went to open the screen door and it wouldn't budge so I had to go out the back toor and around the house so I could more it away from the screen door so I could get it in the house, I'm lucky because a number of the duplexes around here are like apartments without any back doors (they are all really old). Anyway I'm going to keep looking - I've got my tank nearly ready to start up (I have the reef built, the live sand on the bottom, my protein skimmer put together and a bunch of different types of filters inserted in the back (this is a 32gallon biocube)- the lights came with the case and I'm slowly making my salt water and some pure water today (I made 10 gallons of the water today and got the salinity right too! Except for the rocks and water and a few nasty invertebrates I'm ready to start cycling the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back