New Saltwater tank going:o)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

IUCowgirl

Reaction score
I am new at having a saltwater tank. I have had a small 1 gallon freshwater tank for almost 2 years now. So far in my saltwater tank I have 2 pieces of coral
3 different live plants
and 2 damsels

Somewhere on the net I found that I shouldn't add crabs, but snails instead. Is this true? I don't want the snails to take over (it's only a 10 gallon tank).

What kinds of crabs would be the best to start with?

Around Valentine's Day I'm going to invest in some clownfish and maybe an aneoma (? spelling). What type of aneoma would be best for my small tank?

I would say leave it abit before you get an anemone as they are hard to keep....If you want a few crabs get 1-2
Mithrax crabs as seen below
mithrax.jpg

^^^there about £8-10 each for a smallish one^^^

Snails will not 'take over' in a marine tank they are not like tropical snails...
Here is a turbo snail there about £10 for 6
astrea.jpg

hope this helps

cheers will :*)

Hi again,

As will said anemones are hard to keep and best kept in a well matured tank anyway,

A mixture of mithrax crabs and a variety of snails to help keep the tank clean.

Snails in the marine aquarium dont take over like a tropical tank so theres nothing to worry about there

Thanks for the info. This weekend I'm hoping to get some more damsels or maybe a couple clowns to start off with. I'll probably get 1 crab and snail and see which I like better.

I find myself traveling to a lot of different fish stores to find what I like. People in Indiana must not have many saltwater tanks. :( I'm glad that I've started this one. It gives me something to do other than homework. And now I don't spoil my horse as much. I find myself buying for the fish not my foal! :lol:

Cowgirl. STOP!!!

Talk to me. What type of salwater tank do you have? Lighting filtration, all that good stuff. And, where are you at in Indiana??? I might be able to point you to a good lfs.

A marine tank cannot support as many fish as a freshwater tank. Typically it is one inch of fish for every ten gallons of water, Your Damsels have you at the limit now. But there are so many other cool things to put in there that the fish limitations aren't too handicapping.

Read my article on atarting a Marine tank to get a good idea on where you want to go with your setup. Then we can really figure out what is best for you... :thumbs:

:*) :*) sorry Cowgirl in my half asleep suffed nose with a cold i missed the tank size :*) :*)

Like GL said you tank is on max for fish, i will go now and leave answering questions to the more awake members

I just bought a kit from PetCo. I am going to try to sell the damsels back to a shop in Indy or Terre Haute (I live in Bloomington, while at school). I bought 2 baby clowns to add in and 7 blue legged hermit crabs.

I talked to a guy at Inland Aquatics in Terre Haute and that is what he suggested. He also suggested me getting rid of the damsels. They would buy them back there, but have too many right now. For a filter I have a small Penguin biowheel.

Once I move back to Valparaiso this coming May I'll be doing my buying at the Valpo Pet and Hobby. I'm going to try a few places in Indy eventually too. I hope to get a larger tank eventually. Once I have the money. B)

You can still add a mithrax crab and turbo snails as they don't add to the bio load in the tank :D

cheers will :*)

Ummm, I wrote an article on it, meant to post it. I just looked through wordperfect to grab it, and can't find it!!!!! Some member of my household may have some explaining to do!!! :angry:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back