New pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm transferring fish and frogs from an old pond to a new one. They are both 1500l preformed.

For a couple of weeks I've been moving water over, and for a while actually had the ponds connected, so the water in both is the same. I've moved most of the plants over too, and taken the opportunity to trim and repot them. Have also moved a good amount of elodea.

Yesterday I moved most of the stock, and left 6 inches of water in the old pond. A couple of evasive and dark coloured fish to go!

Anyway, my questions are:
1) How much sediment should I move over? There is probably 4cm of it in the old pond.
2) Should I feed the fish for a bit as they don't have the algae layer on the side on the old pond to nibble on?

Thank you!

A pond that another on my wish list and a dream of mine, is to have a 3 ft deep pond. How do you keep your pond from becoming a buffet for the locals? and are you keeping koi?

There's a net to stop fish being extracted and leaves being added!

Mostly various types of goldfish: red orange koi yellow and black. Most of these were inherited when we bought the house 7 years ago.

I would definitely recommend feeding the fish - I only have experience with aquarium fish, but I have learned that they cannot survive on algae/micronutrients alone...

If possible transfer as much of the sediment as you can, and some water if possible too. Any microfauna will transfer this way and at least boost the food chain Kickstart faster.

4cm sounds reasonable. 4 inches, then you'd have issues with layers of anaerobic bacteria. Agree with NC to try and move as much as you can.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back