New planted tank - what fertilisers/foods are shrimp safe?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sparkyjf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am setting up a new 180l tank and am going for my first ever planted aquarium. I have laid out Prodibio AquaGrowth Soil on the base of the tank, and then a layer of Prodibio AquaShrimp Powder Soil which was recommended. I have purchased a selection of plants from my local aquarium shop (I don't have the names to hands but have all the plant tags so can get them if it helps this discussion) and planted them in the substrate.

I have read about and heard of both root tabs and liquid fertilisers, but I'm unclear whether I need one or both, and have also seen that many root tabs contain copper which I understand to be poisonous to shrimp (I have both shrimp and snails to go into this tank so whatever I do I want to be safe for them).

I've also noted that some root tabs claim to be shrimp safe because the copper concentration is very low and "should remain in the substrate".

Can anyone tell me if this is actually true? Should I be looking to either root tabs, liquid fertiliser, or both, and can someone recommend any products that are shrimp/snail safe please.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Copper levels that are present in fertilizers are only in trace amounts, this is no harm for shrimp. Most shrimp foods have trace amounts of copper too. Besides, shrimp need a certain amount of copper in order for oxygen transport through their blood. It is higher quantities of copper that can be harmful, such as the levels of copper found in certain medications.

I've also noted that some root tabs claim to be shrimp safe because the copper concentration is very low and "should remain in the substrate".
They are shrimp safe. Just make sure to push them all the way down to the glass. (Under the substrate)

I don't know those soils or what's in them - but you should not need root tabs while they are doing what they are supposed to. Eventually the soils will become exhausted and then you will need root tabs. Make sure you test for ammonia and nitrates regularly in the first weeks. Many of those plant soils can leach these out for several weeks or even months and that would be bad for shrimp and fish.

Hi all,

I am setting up a new 180l tank and am going for my first ever planted aquarium. I have laid out Prodibio AquaGrowth Soil on the base of the tank, and then a layer of Prodibio AquaShrimp Powder Soil which was recommended. I have purchased a selection of plants from my local aquarium shop (I don't have the names to hands but have all the plant tags so can get them if it helps this discussion) and planted them in the substrate.

I have read about and heard of both root tabs and liquid fertilisers, but I'm unclear whether I need one or both, and have also seen that many root tabs contain copper which I understand to be poisonous to shrimp (I have both shrimp and snails to go into this tank so whatever I do I want to be safe for them).

Can anyone tell me if this is actually true? Should I be looking to either root tabs, liquid fertiliser, or both, and can someone recommend any products that are shrimp/snail safe please.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ive never used this particular soil but ive used soil in the past and there is no need for root tabs as the soil is already enriched. This particular soil with calcium magnesium iron potassium manganese aluminum and phosphorous. Those will also leach into the water column and will increase your GH.
Soil can be beneficial for plants and what they dont tell you is that it can take weeks to months for it to settle to the point its no longer leeching mass amounts of nutrients into the water column. Which requires either lots and lots of plants and light to discourage algae or lots of water changes to stabilize nutrients. They also dont tell you that the soil will go dead in about a year as it exhausts all its nutrients. Just like outside garden soil needs to be replenished every year so will an aquarium soil substrate. It also more easily compacts and becomes anaerobic which is no bueno. I also found that once a plant is planted dont bother ever trying to move it as it will stir up alot of the soil and the nutrients in it and cause more nutrients to leech into water. Soil works real well for growing plants, until it doesnt, whixh is about a year, then its a nightmare when it goes dead. Hopefully you have an enjoyable experience with it. I did until i didnt. Thought id pass that along and you can do with this info what you will.:)

Thanks everyone for your replies - I love this forum - I've not had the opportunity to participate much, but when I do everyone is so helpful and friendly, so thank you!

Really appreciate all the advice - I had planned not to "rush" the setup of this tank and given the possibility of leeching into the water for an extended period I'm glad that was my intent. The issue of dead soil makes sense - it happens even with my pot plants.

So in the short term no action required other than carefully monitor the tank especially levels within it.

In the medium term (>8 weeks, <1 year) is there any preventative maintenance I should be doing with the soil to extend it's life (forgive my ignorance, but I'm thinking like I put BabyBio in my house plants)?

In the longer term (>1 year), let's assume the soil goes dead after a year, what are my options? Do I lireally have to change out the soil (in the way one might re-pot a pot plant)? Or can I add nutrients back into it (root tabs, liquid fertiliser, etc)? The fact that it goes anerobic sound like it fits nicely into the "bad" category - again anything that can be done, or simply new substrate required?

Hoping to learn as much as I can early on so I'm prepared for what happens further down the road :)

Most reactions

trending

Back