New planted tank - some problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently did a total overhaul of my 20 gallon tank. Years ago I dabbled in plants but I certainly never became an expert and never kept many plants alive for long.

I purchased a few Java ferns and an anubias from Petco. I know they aren't the best source but it's my only option. It has been about 10 days and my anubias still looks good but the Java ferns don't look too good; they have some algae (?) growing and might be flat out dying.

I have a 15watt light in the hood that I have on from 8-12 hours a day. The tank is in a window, but I have paper up in the back to keep sunlight out. The substrate is pool filter sand. I haven't added any fertilizers, root tabs, etc. The Java ferns are floating/resting at the bottom of the tank, and the anubias is planted. My stock is 12 harlequin rasboras and 4 otos, and I don't overfeed. Filter is rated for 40 gallon tank.

I've attached pictures of the Java fern issues and would appreciate insight/advice! Thanks!

20200709_174003.jpg
20200709_173929.jpg
20200709_173938.jpg

Do you know the Kelvin rating of the light? It doesn't look very bright to me

There’s your first problem, your Anubias is buried in the substrate. You need to attach it to a piece of rock, so the rhizome doesn’t rot.

(Picture #1 seems to have some sort of algae on it. Java Fern also naturally grow slow.)

There’s your first problem, your Anubias is buried in the substrate. You need to attach it to a piece of rock, so the rhizome doesn’t rot.

(Picture #1 seems to have some sort of algae on it. Java Fern also naturally grow slow.)
@PheonixKingZ where does it show that it's in the substrate?

Also java fern and anubias can be in the substrate just fine if the rhizome isnt buried :)

and the anubias is planted
@PheonixKingZ where does it show that it's in the substrate?

Also java fern and anubias can be in the substrate just fine if the rhizome isnt buried :)
Right there. The OP said it was.

People usually can’t tell what/where the rhizome is. That’s why I don’t suggest planting it in/under the substrate.

The third picture is something you should not worry about. The plant is basically sending out new plantlets.

Right there. The OP said it was.

People usually can’t tell what/where the rhizome is. That’s why I don’t suggest planting it in/under the substrate.
Ah my bad.

I too don't see anything to worry about, and I agree with others to ensure the rhizome of both Anubias and Java Fern plants is not buried; these plants do well attached to wood, rock, or decor. The thick "stem" is the rhizome from which each leaf grows and the fine true roots.

Light should be OK, these are both low light plants, but knowing the Kelvin will help. You may or may not need liquid fertilizer, these plants being slow-growing need less nutrients as well as less light, but as you add other plants an additive may be beneficial. There are some good comprehensive supplements we can discuss.

Thank you all for the quick responses! Appreciate it so much.

Here is my anubias and how I have it planted. I could take it out of the substrate, i just have left it alone because it seems to be doing okay. There is very little actually in the substrate as I read about not planting the rhizome but wasn't totally confident, so I did just enough to keep it in place.
20200709_181730.jpg
20200709_181738.jpg

This is the hood and the light it came with:

I guess my concern is the brown fuzz on the java ferns - i may be sensitive to this because I had an algae problem before I redid the tank. There were no plants in it at that point but it was uncovered in the window and I got behind on maintenance for several weeks. Algae everywhere.

I have many rocks in the tank I could attach the plants to, but I'm not sure how to go about that since everything is already in the tank and wet. I have the flourish adhesive on hand. I assume take the rocks out to dry, but then I'm not sure how to know where to put the glue to attach them. I would like driftwood in the future but am a bit spooked after a bad experience with it in the past.

I'm definitely open to trying fertilizers if it will help the plants, but ultimately I'd like to keep things as low tech as I can while still having a nice planted tank. I have 4 plants total now, and have plans to make it more heavily planted.

For the anubias, pull it up so only the roots are in the sand :)

Both Anubias and Java Fern can get algae due to the light. Floating plants will help, as these are both really shade plants.

I would pull that rhizome out of the sand, it may rot and once it starts it can spread along the whole rhizome and kill the plant.

Both Anubias and Java Fern can get algae due to the light. Floating plants will help, as these are both really shade plants.
Mine used to have algae on them, before I got my Salvinia. Now, I have no problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back