New planted tank question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I'm upgrading from a 10 gallon to a 29 gallon with live plants. I want to get all the plants in and do a silent cycle before adding the fish to the new tank. I've started adding plants.
I'm using Flourish root tabs and adding a small amount of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement.
My question is, would it help if I took water I removed from the old tank for water changes and added it to the new planted tank? That is until I actually add fish to the new tank. Would that be a good way to add nutrients for the plants?

So I'm upgrading from a 10 gallon to a 29 gallon with live plants. I want to get all the plants in and do a silent cycle before adding the fish to the new tank. I've started adding plants.
I'm using Flourish root tabs and adding a small amount of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement.
My question is, would it help if I took water I removed from the old tank for water changes and added it to the new planted tank? That is until I actually add fish to the new tank. Would that be a good way to add nutrients for the plants?

No. Old water has nothing in it, beneficial to fish or plants. The plants and fish have already removed anything beneficial.

The nutrient benefit comes from the decomposition of organic matter in the substrate, plus the ammonia/ammonium from respiration of bacteria, fish and plants, but plants are very skilled at grabbing this fast. I always set up a new tank with all fresh water, planted it, added the Flourish Tabs for large swords etc and the Flourish Comprehensive, and off it went.

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to fish keeping (kept some in college, but treated them poorly...like most stupid kids). I have a 10 gallon column tank and this has been my first step into using live plants. I honestly have just planted them...used some flourish and they have done fine. Like the person above said, the nitrogen cycle is key to healthy plants

Would be good if ur 10 gal is still running because then u could add a good scoop of ur old substrate (full of living goodies) from the 10 gal and add to the new aquarium substrate. U could also take ur 10 gal used filter cartridge and put it in ur new filter on the 29 gal along with the new filter cartridge so the living goodies that cycled the old tank can transfer to your new filter cartridge. If u do those things you should be cycled within a week.

Once the plants are actively growing, you're good to go. Just add fish fairly gradually so you don't overcome the plants' ability to clean the water.

No. Old water has nothing in it, beneficial to fish or plants. The plants and fish have already removed anything beneficial.

The nutrient benefit comes from the decomposition of organic matter in the substrate, plus the ammonia/ammonium from respiration of bacteria, fish and plants, but plants are very skilled at grabbing this fast. I always set up a new tank with all fresh water, planted it, added the Flourish Tabs for large swords etc and the Flourish Comprehensive, and off it went.
I've read that used fish tank water was good for potted plants. Sounds like that isn't really the case.

I believe the aquarium water that you obtain during you water changes is generally good for potted plants. You have to consider that this is the water that may contain the gravel, and or sand cleaning debris, mulm, which you wouldn't use to start a new tank with. Even 5 ppm of nitrates would be helpful to your plants but wouldn't be useful in starting a new aquarium, you want to reduce the nitrates not add to them.

Agree. Terrestrial plants have different nutrient needs from aquatic. When I lived in an apartment I always used tank water for houseplants. And in the house I dumped tank water on the shrubs in the garden.

Would be good if ur 10 gal is still running because then u could add a good scoop of ur old substrate (full of living goodies) from the 10 gal and add to the new aquarium substrate. U could also take ur 10 gal used filter cartridge and put it in ur new filter on the 29 gal along with the new filter cartridge so the living goodies that cycled the old tank can transfer to your new filter cartridge. If u do those things you should be cycled within a week.
It actually is still running. I have a bag of bio beads sitting in the old tank for this very purpose. I'm not sure how necessary it will be with the fast growing plants I'm adding to the new tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back