New plant questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
First off, I bought a micro sword plant today. Is that just another type of sword plant or just another name that the pet store came up with?

I bought one java fern. Do I just pick the little new ferns growing on the mature leaves to make new plants?

I'm putting a new plants in a 10G tank that's been cycling for almost 2 months now. Can I put fish in directly after putting in the plants or do the plants need to cycle in the tank as well? Thanks.
-Josh

Hi Josh

There is indeed a plant called a micro sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae) here's a pic for ya :

lilinova.jpg

As for the java fern, if u leave the daughter plants (the babys) they will automatically be released by the mother plant when they big enough :)

If ur tank is allready cycled, then u may add the fish and plants at the same time. If however the tank is not yet cycles, then just add the plants.

Great, thanks for the info. Is there a way to branch the micro sword into new plants? I would like to have a nice little grassy area in my tank and this is the first sword plant I've had.
-Josh

The Java Fern in my tank just branches off along the gravel, new smaller shoots spring up at the sides and eventually can be separated to form their own plant.

Make sure you treat those plants before putting them into your new setup! You run a large risk of introducing parasites and snails and other yuckies if you fail to do this. Believe me!!!

This link gives my method of treating plants for all of those problems:
http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?ac...=1113&hl=snails

Works like a charm.

Ostrow, I think that should be pinned to the forum, or something like that.

Jumpman, I don't think you have java fern then. I could be wrong, but I don't think Java fern grows like that. It does grow on a tuber or rhizome and also makes daughter plants on the tips of leaves.

Now, swords do put out shoots of mini versions of parent plants. This is much like the crab grass.

Hi everyone.. Thought I would add to this new plant question topic with my own question..

With sword plants, once they have the new baby plants coming off the shoots do you just snip them off under the leaves & plant the small plantling in the gravel? My new 55 gal. is my first go at a live planted tank. I seem to be having a good go at it so far since the swords already have new shoots.

What are some good foreground plants? I'm horrible with the names since it's my first try..All advice greatly appreciated...Tanks in advance

Mollymomma, with swords there is no need to snip the baby.....Amazon swords grow by putting out runners.

Maybe its some type of sword I have then, looks like Java Fern though!! Might check with the lfs as they said Java Fern to me!! :angry:

Mine are amazon swords I think lol..but the shoots go straight up to the waterline..so they are growing more up& out of the tank versis spreading.. of course as with everything my plants Tank & everything else never works like the "normal" lol.. Tanks for the help

What about other easy short plants to go up front & to the sides of the tank? Anyone have any extra luck with certian kind's?

I am really enjoying the look of live plants but I did get some snail's with them :nod: I am working on taking care of that problem as we speak..but hubby is thinking we should keep at least 1 for a while..Yes I told him how fast they can over run a tank & he just shrugged :crazy: I'm thinking momma will have to put her foot down again lol...This is MY tank anyway not his lol

Micro-Swords would make good foreground plants, and since you have had success with Amazon Swords, I would think you would have success with them. With the Amazon Sword daughter plants, I had the same problem. If you bury the stem, it should continue to grow out that way, and the stem will continue to make babies every 3 or 4 inches. Over time, the daughters will begin to spread themselves, and it will look like crab grass underwater.

You'll have thousands of snails ... unless you have/get clown loaches or other snail-eating loaches, or unless you are really, really fast with them fingers B)

i got snails with one of my plants i consider myself lucky i normally have to pay for them i was going to get some off will at the get together but there is no need now. i had just baught some apple snails too. depends if you like bleaching your alge... not shure fish like bleach i think plastics and organic matter can retain some of the bad chemicals that come from reactions to bleach snails are much better imo. and as you mentioned a good source of food for the clown loaches.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back