New Pics of Pond Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
It’s been some time since I posted any pond fish pics. Today I was cleaning and figured it was a good time to take a few new pics. The largest goldfish, a Common is Goldie. She is almost 5 yeas old and the reason that I got back into the hobby after some time off. She was a .29 feeder fish that was about 1.5” when I got her. She is now measuring right at a foot long. The smallest is the baby I found in the pond in July. He held his own and now Is part of the gang. Apparently his Dad is my Shubunkin. The other orange one (smaller one) is the Mom and Is a Comet. People freak when they step out on my patio and find these swimming around in the corner. Lol!
2F83C514-1AA5-486E-ACC1-9D021BD257BD.jpeg
6BC281F3-9A39-4E7E-945F-0C0846B22A58.jpeg
5E26DA95-05C5-4793-A155-FA79F26E38B5.jpeg
6A9C1C5C-693B-441A-AAE7-BAA0D633D155.jpeg

At a former home of mine, I built a pond and stocked it with feeder goldfish. The next day, I went to check on them, and they were floating at the top, dead. I fished them out, and that was that.
I had a busy summer that year, and completely neglected the pond. Didn't even look at it.
When fall came, I decided to clean it. As I stared at the murky, dirty water, something big and orange flashed through the depths. One lived!
I started stirring around in the water, and discovered that several had lived- and they got BIG over the summer. I hadn't even fed them, because I didn't know they were there. They must have survived on mosquito larva and other insects.
As I continued stirring up the dirty water, I realized that there were a lot of fish in there. Lots of small, brown ones. I didn't put them in there- who did. I wondered?
Then I realized that my cheap feeder goldfish had grown, thrived, and even reproduced that summer, with absolutely no care from me. It's no wonder that they are so successful as invasives.

At a former home of mine, I built a pond and stocked it with feeder goldfish. The next day, I went to check on them, and they were floating at the top, dead. I fished them out, and that was that.
I had a busy summer that year, and completely neglected the pond. Didn't even look at it.
When fall came, I decided to clean it. As I stared at the murky, dirty water, something big and orange flashed through the depths. One lived!
I started stirring around in the water, and discovered that several had lived- and they got BIG over the summer. I hadn't even fed them, because I didn't know they were there. They must have survived on mosquito larva and other insects.
As I continued stirring up the dirty water, I realized that there were a lot of fish in there. Lots of small, brown ones. I didn't put them in there- who did. I wondered?
Then I realized that my cheap feeder goldfish had grown, thrived, and even reproduced that summer, with absolutely no care from me. It's no wonder that they are so successful as invasives.
Actually, it s not the fish that are invasive. They are only surviving as Mother Nature taught them. It is the irresponsible humans that are invasive who decide they are tired of them and dumping them in unlawful places. You see this with many fish sadly.

Last edited:
Standard feeder grade goldfish can often withstand water conditions many other fish would easily be killed by. Very cold water. Dirty high nitrate water. Low oxygen water. Extremes as far as pH. And they can eat anything to survive.

This is why wild released goldfish often become invasive. It is sad to see them all euthanized when found in natural bodies of water, but it needs to be done unfortunately. They'll take over oftentimes.

Standard feeder grade goldfish can often withstand water conditions many other fish would easily be killed by. Very cold water. Dirty high nitrate water. Low oxygen water. Extremes as far as pH. And they can eat anything to survive.

This is why wild released goldfish often become invasive. It is sad to see them all euthanized when found in natural bodies of water, but it needs to be done unfortunately. They'll take over oftentimes.
They aren’t “Wild release” though. They are pets dumped. So very sad. I did use to breed pond fish (Shubunkin and koi). Made some money in them. When I stopped breeding, I kept my Shubunkin mom’s and gave the others to friends with ponds. Never, did I even consider dumping them into the retention lake across from my home. I’m simply not that irresponsible. I then filled in the pond to be sure nothing else was dropped in by wildlife. Why do fish and animals always have to pay the price for humans stupidity?

Last edited:
Yes... I don't like to use the term DUMPED because most people who release the fish in lakes etc have good intentions and want the fish to thrive in a big body of water.

Yes... I don't like to use the term DUMPED because most people who release the fish in lakes etc have good intentions and want the fish to thrive in a big body of water.
But dumping fish in most areas is against the law for good reason. It is irresponsible and a legal offense.

Fully agree. But the people who put these fish in lakes are usually well meaning. This doesn't excuse their actions, which are illegal regardless of intent but because they mean well, I don't want to say they're DUMPING the fish. They're illegally releasing the fish with usually only the fishes well being in mind. They don't realize the dangers behind their actions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back