New/old tank-need advice!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GaryNH

Reaction score
Neighbor gave me his 30 gal w/working UGF and powerhead. Just enough water left in it to cover the gravel. Here's my dilemma: tank glass is pretty crappy and needs a good cleaning. I dont' know whether to keep the functioning UGF w/bacteria bed or dump the whole thing, clean thoroughly and use an Eclipse style filter. He transferred his fish to his new tank and they were/are healthy. Thoughts? Tank also has a hanging filter on the back that he used to help keep the water clear.

Thanks, Gary

That's the set-up I have with no complaints, but then that's all I've known (I've only a 15gal).

I think some people frown on the UGF because it takes up some room, and prob. not too good if you want to grow plants.

One other thought, you might be able to just transfer the gravel alone (if you like it), if you decide against using the UGF.

I'm sure there'll be better advice to follow.... ;)

Where to start????

First off...if the air supply in this case the powerhead has not been running for sometime (12hours or longer) then the bacteria colonies are all but dead.

Pitch the UGF. Although I have used them in the past they are more trouble then they are worth.

You can use the powerhead for water circulation and can even check into getting a sponge pre-filter for the powerhead. This will also harbor good bacteria (once aged).

Clean the HOB (hang on back) filter and use that for filtering the tank.

As for the gravel...take it out of the tank, place it in a bucket (used only for your aquarium) and give it a light rinsing under the tap. Since most, if not all of the bacteria is dead you may as well clean it.

While the tank is empty give it a good cleaning. If the tank has heavy calcium build up, using vinager should help get rid of this.

You can also use a single edge razor blade for scraping any crud off the glass.

Keep in mind that doing all of this will mean you are starting from scratch and will need to cycle the tank.

HTH

Filters are still a matter of personal preference. I still prefer a good HOB or external canister. I understand the concept of an UGF, but always wondered on the sanity of running a system that draws all of your pollutants into the gravel bed.... :blink:

*thoughts of a relative novice*

5 years ago I got a 10g hex with ug filter. I didnt really understand how it worked, when or why :S :blink: . I ditched it when all my fish died (in 24hrs) and got a small internal filter. I am sure there are pro's with the ugf (price/looks etc) but prefer the visibilty of whats happening, ie, I can see the muck :/ .

Am currently cycling my new juwel vision 180ltrs. It has a built in filter (supposedly good enough) but put a 700 l/h external on it too. I can see and touch the muck *yuk* and have more control on whats happening. I also have a damn good flow of water.

As gl said, why draw all the *stuff* into the bottom of the tank? I guess its down to personal taste (and wallet) ;)

Ready to start the new tank! Cleaned it all out, no gravel in it, nothing. Filling it with tap (well) water. Ph runs about 7.0-7.2 out of the tap. There was an Aquapure 200 with it that I'm going to run. I plan on filling it and running the filter for about a week. Suggestions, again??

I want a mixed tank, I like Fancy Guppies. Will crushed coral do for bottom?

Gary

curshed coral is pretty and will help to stabilize the ph if that is a problem. depends on what kind of fish you decide on. if you need a lower ph don't use the coral. could go bare bottom.

as for the ugf. if you want to see the crud and muck take a flashlight and look underneath the aquarium. will make you sick! also found that when i had a ugf when my husband set it up i had a hard time controlling the ammonia and nitrates. took out the ugf, cleaned the muck out and haven't had a problem since.

like the hot magnum. great filter. like the two phase angle of it.

maggie

Thanks Maggie, I chucked the UGF. The Aquapure is a tank back hanger with sponge and charcoal. I'll use that until I dig up the cash for an Eclipse. I'm using the UGF powerhead to move the water around while it's cycling.

Gary
Semper Fi
USMC '71-'75

does the eclipse use the sponge and charcoal together at the same time? not really familiar with it. the magnum can either use the charcoal insert or the paper filter cartridge to polish the water. the carbon insert does have a sponge sleeve that goes around the insert. very reasonably priced also. use the magnum on my front tank which is an 85 gallon for now and on the 180 with a wet dry filter. wet dry is a pain in the elba delba!

when i took out the ugf i had two power heads. i use them in the front tank with sponge filters on them now. tried using them with the sa's they think it is a new toy to play with.

maggie

Most reactions

trending

Back