New Oase tank set up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cato

Reaction score
I had a juwel 240 fresh water tank, I decided to down size to a Oase 85 Skyline. I take delivery next week.
I am looking to use : Gravel Substrate (natural, small), black lava rock, spider wood / wood and real planting, no ornaments or plastic.
I am looking to replace the filter with a Ehime eco 130, I will have to be creative as there is only a cut out on one corner.
I will use the Oase heater and get a heater cover.
Fish : Betta, panda Corys (6) and a couple of other betta compatible Fish,
Any help with what I am planning would be great, and possible alternative stock including plants, I thought of a betta as the are a lovely centrepiece fish.
thanks.

I had a juwel 240 fresh water tank, I decided to down size to a Oase 85 Skyline. I take delivery next week.
I am looking to use : Gravel Substrate (natural, small), black lava rock, spider wood / wood and real planting, no ornaments or plastic.
I am looking to replace the filter with a Ehime eco 130, I will have to be creative as there is only a cut out on one corner.
I will use the Oase heater and get a heater cover.
Fish : Betta, panda Corys (6) and a couple of other betta compatible Fish,
Any help with what I am planning would be great, and possible alternative stock including plants, I thought of a betta as the are a lovely centrepiece fish.
thanks.
This sounds interesting the Oase tanks are really nice! I'm sure you've heard Bettas are not really great community fish - do you have them already or would you be open to an other centrepiece?

When it comes to fish I always like to start with your water stats to work out the best options for you. So do you know your water hardness and do you know your ph? If you dont know these you may be able to use a postcode search on your water companies website.

If you are going down the low tech route - without Co2, which I'd recommend if you want good numbers of fish in here. A couple of species I like are things like Limnophilla Sessiflora, Vallisnera, Hydrocotyle, Cardamyne Lyrata and Hyrophilla species for the background, Crypts for the middle, maybe some needle leaf or trident Java Ferns on some wood. Then in the fore and mid ground things like Sagittaria Subulata, Lilliaopsis Brasiliensis, Marsillea Hirsuita, Hydrocotyle Vulgaris. Some easy mosses can be nice too depending on your scape Java Moss is the most common but can go a bit crazy. Taiwain Moss is a nice one and Spikey is meant to be a good one to get started with too.

Wills

This sounds interesting the Oase tanks are really nice! I'm sure you've heard Bettas are not really great community fish - do you have them already or would you be open to an other centrepiece?

When it comes to fish I always like to start with your water stats to work out the best options for you. So do you know your water hardness and do you know your ph? If you dont know these you may be able to use a postcode search on your water companies website.

If you are going down the low tech route - without Co2, which I'd recommend if you want good numbers of fish in here. A couple of species I like are things like Limnophilla Sessiflora, Vallisnera, Hydrocotyle, Cardamyne Lyrata and Hyrophilla species for the background, Crypts for the middle, maybe some needle leaf or trident Java Ferns on some wood. Then in the fore and mid ground things like Sagittaria Subulata, Lilliaopsis Brasiliensis, Marsillea Hirsuita, Hydrocotyle Vulgaris. Some easy mosses can be nice too depending on your scape Java Moss is the most common but can go a bit crazy. Taiwain Moss is a nice one and Spikey is meant to be a good one to get started with too.

Wills

Thank you for your reply
I am open to all suggestions I am a blank template, I know water is hard.
N co2 at this time, I’ve had success with Anubis on wood in my previous tank.

Ah ok cool :) do you know hard? You'll be best off keeping fish like Red Thick Lipped Gourami, small Rainbow Fish, a few smaller Rasbora and Danio species like Emerald Rasboras, Galaxy Rasboras and Rummy Nose Rasboras. You might be ok with some species of Corydora but it will depend on how hard your water is :)

Wills

297.5 mg/l (or parts per million)
We have anglia water.

Nothing to add on the fish side but, I feel your pain. Suffolk water is like liquid rock 😞

I won’t go the betta route its a 50/50 risk,any suggestions on a centrepiece fish with some colour would be great.

Tank arrived and now cycling, I will post update soon.

My tank is 50x40, can I ask if I should use a spray bar rather than the Normal outlet, I have a eco pro 130 external filter.

does anyone have experience of a Lily pipe in their aquarium

Work in progress

Attachments

• D9B31EF0-223D-4287-847E-3267E9D366EC.jpeg
    D9B31EF0-223D-4287-847E-3267E9D366EC.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 40

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back